There Are Rumblings That the O's Will Not Take Rutschman

Greg Pappas

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Philip said:

I have a question about over slot under slot. Are they allowed to approach a particular draft pick and say, “will you sign for x?”

And the guy can answer, “no, I want full slot value +10%” or something like that?

Another words, are they free to negotiate before the actual pick?

And does this take place with all of the potential choices? It sounds pretty crazy, when you consider that at, say, the 41st pick, they have no idea who will be available.

Teams absolutely know the requested signing bonus of prospects before the draft.  A couple scouting directors ago for the Orioles, Joe Jordan would usually/always walk away from a prospect who changed his number after the draft.  Sometimes, a team drafts a player with a certain requested price tag and can't get the prospect the full amount and then the prospect has to make a decision - say the prospect asked for $700k and the Os had $500k available after signing everyone else.  Sometimes, a player will put out a number like $2.0M and then a team drafts the player at a time when the slot $ is $1.5M and tells the player to take slot or go back to school.  Many, many times, prospects with high signing bonuses sign for slot which can be much less.  All of this is really on the scout following the player to ask these tough questions and get the right answers.  It is also important to have a backup plan in case a player does not sign because of the $ or if there is a medical issue found post-draft - as happened to the Os recently.  In that case, the overslot $ went to a backup prospect.  All of this requires accurate information as gathered by the local scout and strong planning from the scouting director and his team.

12 minutes ago, makoman said:

Mainly a super-utility guy that hadn't broken into the majors until age 27. But I think Leslie Brea was the headliner.

10 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Future Oriole Hall of Famer Melvin Mora

So not much that turned into something.  Not a comp for Chapman.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Wait he's not in the Orioles HOF yet?

Maybe I phrased that poorly.   At the time of the deal he was Future Orioles HOFer Melvin Mora.

Now he is Current Orioles HOFer Melvin Mora.

12 minutes ago, SteveA said:

It's permissible to SAY anything you want.   But his only leverage is going back to OSU for his senior year and turning down $7+ million.   Would anyone believe him?

In football, John Elway did that to Baltimore.   Eli Manning sort of did it to San Diego (don't know if he publicly announced it before the draft).

Colts traded Elway for a center (who did eventually go to a Pro Bowl, but a C is still <<< a QB in terms of NFL importance) and a few other spare parts.

Chargers traded Manning to the Giants.

Regarding Elway, he was drafted as a senior.   His leverage was that the Yankees had drafted him to play baseball, and in fact, he already had played a season in the NY-Penn league and had put up an .896 OPS the previous summer.   He threatened to play baseball if the Colts didn’t trade him.   

He was traded to the Broncos for Chris Hinton, Mark Hermann and the Broncos’ no. 1 pick the following year.    Hinton didn’t just “go to a Pro Bowl,” he was a 7-time Pro Bowl selection, 3-time All-Pro and the second player ever named to the Indianapolis Colts’ ring of honor.   Herrmann had a credible 10-year career as a backup QB.   The Colts used the draft pick they received to choose Ron Solt, who had a 9-year NFL career and was All-Pro for the Colts one year.    Overall, I would rather have had Elway, but the Colts did milk some good value out of that trade.

So has Elias made decision yet? I know in 12 it came down to the hour before they were in the clock before they decided on Correa what could they be weighing right now? I wonder if Elias and Sig are on the same page from reading Astroball I know Sig differed with many scouts and Luhnow

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

All depends how she grades out on the analytics. #TrustTheProcess

She throws the javelin and discus. No doubt she has the arm for RF but can she stick in CF?

Archived