Should Baseball Have The Franchise Tag Or Max Contracts?

ORIOLE33

15 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Saying they had the money for the  ‘right moves’ and not signing Machado borders on idiotic. Unless....Duquette was spewing the company line.

Hard to believe the Davis contract had no impact.

Was Duquette even involved in the Chris David contract talks? I think that was the owner negotiating directly with Boras.  

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea.  I don't believe that.

believe what you want.

DD did say it, and they knew about Manny getting big dollars at his renewal time in the future, so its not like it was a surprise.

Maybe just maybe, and I hate to play the race card, but maybe that was Peter's hangup about Manny. He spent money on Belle, with no issues.

Maybe the dreds, cap turned a bit off center, just didnt sit right with him?????

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

believe what you want.

DD did say it, and they knew about Manny getting big dollars at his renewal time in the future, so its not like it was a surprise.

Maybe just maybe, and I hate to play the race card, but maybe that was Peter's hangup about Manny. He spent money on Belle, with no issues.

Maybe the dreds, cap turned a bit off center, just didnt sit right with him?????

Obviously that’s a theoretical possibility, but you have nothing beyond speculation to support it. Not giving Manny the contract he wanted does not make Angelos racist. There’s a bunch of teams that could have afforded him but chose not to, are they also all racist? What about Harpers struggle to get the contract he wanted? Same with Arietta who ended up signing for only three years. All victims of racism? 

1 minute ago, 99ct said:

Obviously that’s a theoretical possibility, but you have nothing beyond speculation to support it. Not giving Manny the contract he wanted does not make Angelos racist. There’s a bunch of teams that could have afforded him but chose not to, are they also all racist? What about Harpers struggle to get the contract he wanted? Same with Arietta who ended up signing for only three years. All victims of racism? 

i am not talking about any other team, but the Orioles.

Peter shown the ability to spend money on position players over the years, and yet, would not even talk to Manny or his agent about numbers, one of the best young players in the game, and a lock for the HOF. They didnt even talk to them, or try to engage in a discussion, it was a closed door to Manny.

That makes no sense what so ever.

So what reason, do you say, happened?

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Peter shown the ability to spend money on position players over the years, and yet, would not even talk to Manny or his agent about numbers, one of the best young players in the game, and a lock for the HOF. They didnt even talk to them, or try to engage in a discussion, it was a closed door to Manny.

Maybe I’m overly sensitive, but I think your post is instigating on race where little to no evidence exists. This is particularly true in view of the fact that many minority players got paid by the orioles. 

As to your question, I’m not sure I believe that the Orioles weren’t interested. I think they lost interest when they realized what amount of money it was going to take to sign Manny. 

And you don’t want to talk about other teams, but it’s necessary to look at other teams. If your point is that refusal to pay Manny is indicative of racism, which seems to be your point, then the Yankees, Dodgers, Cindy, etc. are equally guilty. 

Whu do you think the Dodgers made no effort to resign Manny? I don’t know the answer, but it seems to show that the orioles weren’t the only ones. 

1 minute ago, 99ct said:

Maybe I’m overly sensitive, but I think your post is instigating on race where little to no evidence exists. This is particularly true in view of the fact that many minority players got paid by the orioles. 

As to your question, I’m not sure I believe that the Orioles weren’t interested. I think they lost interest when they realized what amount of money it was going to take to sign Manny. 

And you don’t want to talk about other teams, but it’s necessary to look at other teams. If your point is that refusal to pay Manny is indicative of racism, which seems to be your point, then the Yankees, Dodgers, Cindy, etc. are equally guilty. 

Whu do you think the Dodgers made no effort to resign Manny? I don’t know the answer, but it seems to show that the orioles weren’t the only ones. 

I think Peter wanted Davis and the money wasn't there for both of them.

1 minute ago, 99ct said:

The race card has been mentioned a few times, when people have discussed why Peter was so opposed to a lockdown HOF player of his magnitude.

The Dodger had a very big payroll and clearly said at the beginning Manny was a rental for the WS.

15 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Another possibility is that the Angelos family might not have that much money. The Davis contract looks enormous until you realize that they're paying him about $17 million/year for the seven years with the rest of the money being deferred. There's no way Manny would have accepted a contract like that. Also, the Orioles have very rarely bought out players with multiple years left on their contract over the years. There's been a number of instances over the years when they've had some really bad relievers on multi-year contracts and refused to release them because they didn't want to eat the money. Either the Angelos family is really stingy with their money or maybe they're more cash poor than people realize. 

Just now, TINSTAAPP said:

Another possibility is that the Angelos family might not have that much money. The Davis contract looks enormous until you realize that they're paying him about $17 million/year for the seven years with the rest of the money being deferred. There's no way Manny would have accepted a contract like that. Also, the Orioles have very rarely bought out players with multiple years left on their contract over the years. There's been a number of instances over the years when they've had some really bad relievers on multi-year contracts and refused to release them because they didn't want to eat the money. Either the Angelos family is really stingy with their money or maybe they're more cash poor than people realize. 

The payroll grown to 165 million when they went after the WS.

They had the money, that wasnt the issue.

Just now, TINSTAAPP said:

Depends on when they offered it.  Earlier in the process you are the less expensive the player should be.

Archived