How much longer do we have to wait?

caljr

I was thinking more like something like this:

Let's say Ramon finishes with 450 AB's. I'd be willing to bet that Wieters outproduces Ramon in his 450 AB's. Do you get what I'm saying?

So Wieters 30 AB v Ramon's 450 AB? I rather flip a coin.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So Wieters 30 AB v Ramon's 450 AB? I rather flip a coin.

No, I'm talking about Wieters first 450 or so AB's vs Ramon's 450 or so AB's he gets in 2007.

I'm guessing we don't see Wieters until next season, so basically Wieters 2008 vs Ramon's 2007.

No, I'm talking about Wieters first 450 or so AB's vs Ramon's 450 or so AB's he gets in 2007.

I'm guessing we don't see Wieters until next season, so basically Wieters 2008 vs Ramon's 2007.

Can I take Wieters?

Because more often than not rushing a guy to the major causes more harm than good. The Orioles should send him to AAA to start next season & allow him to produce there. Its been said on here that the talent is batter at AA than triple AAA. In the Orioles case this may be true but I doubt its the case baseball wide. Otherwise they should flip flop rosters. The O's under AM dont appear like they are going to fall in the trap of rushing him.

I think you should look at some of the threads where that point about AA vs. AAA is brought up so you'll understand why it is made (and possibly accurate).

And if he is so mentally poor that two months at the major league level at this point in his development will destroy him, he won't make it anyway, and we would be better off finding out now.

Well said. The best thing for his development IMO is to be pushed, to have to overcome some adversity. He's not being pushed where he is at and I don't see how that is good for his development.

If you have a kid who is in third grade, but is reading far ahead of their level, learning higher math on their own and who's teachers only tell you about how he has no business being in that grade, do you say:

"He's a kid. He should only be around kids his own age and grow up with them. If we move him up, he could become frustrated at the hard work and fail. And honestly, I'm a little worried that he still can't write in cursive all that well."

Or:

"Let's move him up until he finds a level that challenges him. He has a chance to be special, and we shouldn't hold him back."

If you have a kid who is in third grade, but is reading far ahead of their level, learning higher math on their own and who's teachers only tell you about how he has no business being in that grade, do you say:

"He's a kid. He should only be around kids his own age and grow up with them. If we move him up, he could become frustrated at the hard work and fail. And honestly, I'm a little worried that he still can't write in cursive all that well."

Or:

"Let's move him up until he finds a level that challenges him. He has a chance to be special, and we shouldn't hold him back."

Well, the right answer depends on facts you didn't provide.

The short answer is that the right thing to do depends a lot on the kid's social-IQ and emotional-IQ, not just his performance on school tasks.

Well, the right answer depends on facts you didn't provide.

The short answer is that the right thing to do depends a lot on the kid's social-IQ and emotional-IQ, not just his performance on school tasks.

Fair enough. Let's add that the kid is very mature for his age (as Weiters is, by all accounts).

How about now?

I'm not sure I'd touch that topic of being mature for his age or not. Arbitration is an ugly, ugly beast that the MLB has created. Is 50 games in the bigs really going to make a huge difference? Or is it that the fans want to see Wieters? I don't see the harm in letting him stay in the minors for 1/3 of a season more.

Fair enough. Let's add that the kid is very mature for his age (as Weiters is, by all accounts).

How about now?

Beats me. I don't know the answer.

You think you do, you've been going on and on about this forever.

But I don't know. My hunch is that exactly where he plays for the next 2 months doesn't really matter that much.

You think it's a huge deal, and I don't. I think the FO won't mismanage him.

This issue is the absolute least of my concerns.

I can see both sides of the argument but I agree that Wieters is better off in the minors for the rest of the season. Even though he is tearing up AA, he still needs that time experience success before he becomes the starting catcher next season. It would be nice to bring him up for September and give him a taste of the majors though.

I can see both sides of the argument but I agree that Wieters is better off in the minors for the rest of the season. Even though he is tearing up AA, he still needs that time experience success before he becomes the starting catcher next season. It would be nice to bring him up for September and give him a taste of the majors though.

I agree with most of this assessment, but not the part where he should be called up in September. I say we leave him in Bowie the rest of the year and he starts for the Orioles next year! Just my opinion, but at the same time, I wouldn't be devastated to see him here soon.

Beats me. I don't know the answer.

You think you do, you've been going on and on about this forever.

But I don't know. My hunch is that exactly where he plays for the next 2 months doesn't really matter that much.

You think it's a huge deal, and I don't. I think the FO won't mismanage him.

This issue is the absolute least of my concerns.

My thoughts exactly.

No one here knows for sure where he is best suited for this year. To think someone has the correct answer and that someone else's is wrong is assinine.

There is not one single statistical or analytical approach that can be used to determine if three or four years down the road he would have been better serverd being promoted to the majors this year or finishing the year in the minors.

With that said, I think it is obvious he should be the starting catcher in Baltimore next year...

My thoughts exactly.

No one here knows for sure where he is best suited for this year. To think someone has the correct answer and that someone else's is wrong is assinine.

There is not one single statistical or analytical approach that can be used to determine if three or four years down the road he would have been better serverd being promoted to the majors this year or finishing the year in the minors.

With that said, I think it is obvious he should be the starting catcher in Baltimore next year...

The problem is that most of the people who want him up here are using statistical measures of performance, projected performance and scouting reports from those who have seen him play. Whereas most of the people who are making other arguments are using vague ideas about "rushing" and maturity and trusting the front office (which, as we should have all learned by now, is a terrible thing to do blindly), without going deeper into why.

Someone earlier brought up a question about his BABIP and line-drive %, which is something that could be valid and could be discussed to a point. Most of the opposing arguments are not like that, and don't use anything like what I mentioned.

The problem is that most of the people who want him up here are using statistical measures of performance, projected performance and scouting reports from those who have seen him play. Whereas most of the people who are making other arguments are using vague ideas about "rushing" and maturity and trusting the front office (which, as we should have all learned by now, is a terrible thing to do blindly), without going deeper into why.

Someone earlier brought up a question about his BABIP and line-drive %, which is something that could be valid and could be discussed to a point. Most of the opposing arguments are not like that, and don't use anything like what I mentioned.

Look, if you wanna think baseball is a science where you can decide everything based on numbers, you can do that.

Nobody's saying you can't believe that if you want to.

I just don't understand why you have to act like some of the fundamentalist religion people do and go dissing people who just don't buy your beliefs.

ps: Before somebody has a fit, I said "some" of the fundamentalist religion people. I know fundamentalist religion people who don't do that.

Archived