Orioles have acquired RHP Tom Eshelman from the Philadelphia Phillies in exchange for International Signing Bonus Slots

weams

34 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m not sure if anybody has addressed to this possibility, so I might be offering the second telling of the joke, But one of the complaints about Buck was that He had “his guys” and he would support/play them even if there was no reason to do so.I haven’t seen any reason to think that is true in this instance, but is there any possibility that this acquisition demonstrates that maybe Mike has the same kind of blind spot?

in what way? This seems like a reach.

Eshelman is on a roll.  In his last 6 International League starts he has averaged:

6 S, 6.2 IP,  6 H,  1.7 ER,  1.7 BB,  4.5 K,   93 pitches,  2.27 ERA,  1.13 WHIP

As a former Elias draftee, he could replace Hess in the O's starting rotation before long.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Eshelman is on a roll.  In his last 6 International League starts he has averaged:

6 S, 6.2 IP,  6 H,  1.7 ER,  1.7 BB,  4.5 K,   93 pitches,  2.27 ERA,  1.13 WHIP

As a former Elias draftee, he could replace Hess in the O's starting rotation before long.

I don't have a lot of hope for him but I hope you are right. I could possibly replace Hess and I haven't pitched in close to 30 years.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, LTO's said:

in what way? This seems like a reach.

As I said, I haven’t seen anything to indicate that this is likely, so I admitted it might be a bit of a reach, but Eschelman doesn’t seem to have any virtues that would make him desirable even as minor-league filler, so I was wondering If the main selling point was merely the fact that Mike “knew him from before”

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

As I said, I haven’t seen anything to indicate that this is likely, so I admitted it might be a bit of a reach, but Eschelman doesn’t seem to have any virtues that would make him desirable even as minor-league filler, so I was wondering If the main selling point was merely the fact that Mike “knew him from before”

While I agree Eshelman may not seem like a long term starter in the majors that does not mean that Elias may not see him as better in the current rotation than Hess.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Definitely. If so I'd still like to see Hess in the bullpen.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Definitely. If so I'd still like to see Hess in the bullpen.

With Cashner now not pitching Saturday because of a blister it throughs things up in the air.    Straily could get the start on Saturday.  Depending on how long Cashner will be out it will effect who is in the rotation.   Eshelman could still get promoted to the rotation but Hess or Straily may be a decision that Elias/Hyde has to make.

I like Eshelman. I think he has a chance of sticking in the rotation in some capacity. If his command is really as good as it seems to be, I think he's got a chance of doing well. Can't wait to see him called up.

• 3 weeks later...

o

67% of the outs that Eshelman recorded (10 out of 15) came via the Groundout.

15 OUTS: 9 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 2 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Popout

THOMADARWIESHELMAN )))))) (vs. DEVIL RAYS, 7/01)

IP:lll5

H:llll 6 )) (6 Singles)

R:lllll 2

BB:ll1

SO:ll0

Pitches: )l 75 )(51 )Strikes, )24 )Balls)

2019 ERA: )l 3.60 )l 5.00 IP  (2 ER)

2019 WHIP: )l 1.400 )l )  5.00 IP  (7 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .300 ))  (6 for 20)

PITCHES BY INNING

29 ll(20 lllStrikes, llll9 llBalls)

15 lll(10 lllStrikes, llll5 lllBalls)

11 lll(71 lllStrikes, lllll4 lllBalls)

91 lll(71 lllStrikes, lllll2 lllBalls)

o

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

67% of the outs that Eshelman recorded (10 out of 15) came via the Groundout.

15 OUTS: 9 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 2 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Popout

THOMADARWIESHELMAN )))))) (vs. DEVIL RAYS, 7/01)

IP:lll5

H:llll 6 )) (6 Singles)

R:lllll 2

BB:ll1

SO:ll0

Pitches: )l 75 )(51 )Strikes, )24 )Balls)

2019 ERA: )l 3.60 )l 5.00 IP  (2 ER)

2019 WHIP: )l 1.400 )l )  5.00 IP  (7 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .300 ))  (6 for 20)

PITCHES BY INNING

29 ll(20 lllStrikes, llll9 llBalls)

15 lll(10 lllStrikes, llll5 llBalls)

11 lll(71 lllStrikes, lllll4 llBalls)

91 lll(71 lllStrikes, lllll2 llBalls)

o

Good first start ...good he get some an extended look.