What could a Mancini extension look like?

Lucky_13

While I don't necessarily agree, Roch wrote in his post this morning that the Orioles could look to extend Mancini if they wanted a face for the rebuild.

So my question is, at 27 what would be a decent extension for Mancini and are there any good recent contracts to use for comparison?   

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wow, geez that would be a poor idea.

Any comps for extending such a meh player this early?

Whether he is “meh” or not is up for debate.

We have him through 2022 either way, so the only way an extension is a good idea is just to get some cost certainty for the next 3 years. 

Just now, El_Duderino said:

Whether he is “meh” or not is up for debate.

We have him through 2022 either way, so the only way an extension is a good idea is just to get some cost certainty for the next 3 years. 

Meh isn't meant as an insult.  But he certainly isn't the type of player teams have historically extended.

29 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

While I don't necessarily agree, Roch wrote in his post this morning that the Orioles could look to extend Mancini if they wanted a face for the rebuild.

So my question is, at 27 what would be a decent extension for Mancini and are there any good recent contracts to use for comparison?   

I’m not sure I would want them extending Mancini. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Meh isn't meant as an insult.  But he certainly isn't the type of player teams have historically extended.

While I think he is undervalued at present, I alsodon’t know what to do with him. 

He likely won’t bring back much in a trade. Probably best to let him just play out his arb years. Best not to be tied to him with the roster in such flux.

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wow, geez that would be a poor idea.

Any comps for extending such a meh player this early?

I would say the closest comp would be Stephen Piscotty getting a six year extension from the Cardinals at the start of his third season. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I think it would look like a mistake.

I like Mancini as a player, his age and the state of the rebuild make him unlikely to be of any help.

This is where I am.  If he was two years younger, maybe.

I think it would be a more defensible idea if they didn't already have two other 1B/DH on the roster with  Davis and Nunez. But I did find it interesting that there are hints they are considering moving Mountcastle to the outfield.  If they were to cut Davis after the season and with Trumbo leaving, moving Mountcastle to LF would open up 1B for Mancini 

29 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd wait until this time next year.  If he's still hitting this way, sure.  

The OH is a crazy place.  All of a sudden, 27 is a bad age for a ballplayer.  Suddenly a guy who's still on the upswing of his career and is affordable is looked at as a "meh" player.  After all the incessant bitching and whining around here about not having young, cost controlled talent we finally have one and he's viewed as expendable because he's not the right size and shape.  Beggars being choosers, indeed.

Yeah, he's got his shortcomings on defense but no player is perfect.  I'm not saying we should back the Brinks truck up for him but I'd want to talk to him about it.

According to a Reds FO guy I met at a party, Mancini is an "old 27."

(Interesting that this reliable-looking article states in its seventh paragraph that DeWitt actually never said Frank Robinson was an "old 30":

https://www.redreporter.com/2013/11/23/5133726/revisiting-the-frank-robinson-trade

Any help on any statements he actually did make?)

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

I would say the closest comp would be Stephen Piscotty getting a six year extension from the Cardinals at the start of his third season. 

Pretty good comp, though I’d argue Piscotty was a better bet.