Aberdeen Roster

weams

23 minutes ago, Punchandjudy said:

Interesting.  I know he was old for his league, but seemed to have good velocity (mid 90’s could touch 97) and is a lefty.  Thought those people were given every chance in the world to fail. 

Under the last administration. This one clear cuts deadwood. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, weams said:

Under the last administration. This one clear cuts deadwood. 

The guy did pretty decently when he was actually available to pitch last year.    It’ll be interesting to see if anyone picks him up.   

42 minutes ago, Punchandjudy said:

Interesting.  I know he was old for his league, but seemed to have good velocity (mid 90’s could touch 97) and is a lefty.  Thought those people were given every chance in the world to fail. 

He had ongoing back issues that caused him to miss significant time and the velocity to fluctuate wildly, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s just retired.

45 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Was Sparks the one who had labrum surgery last year a week or so into the season?

Yes

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Punchandjudy said:

I always had hopes for Ruben Garcia, kind of a Dariel Alvarez type.  Also where is Brandon Bonilla? Thought he’d be at Frederick after a nice year last year, but haven’t seen him anywhere so I wondered if he would be on this roster.  Guess not.

Im going to follow Welk.  Be nice for a D-3 guy to make some noise.

Brandon Bonilla was released at the end of May.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

I realize that some of the players who were just drafted will be added to the roster and are younger, but this looks to be a very old team.    Only 6 of 40 players under 22 years old.   The average age in this league last year was 21.0 for hitters and 21.5 for pitchers.  

From people I have spoken to, the plan is to keep the younger guys in the GCL even if it means a repeat year there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cboemmeljr said:

From people I have spoken to, the plan is to keep the younger guys in the GCL even if it means a repeat year there.

The high school picks will be in GCL and most of the college picks in Aberdeen. That is pretty much par for the course. 

18 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

The high school picks will be in GCL and most of the college picks in Aberdeen. That is pretty much par for the course. 

OK, but what happens to the high school picks the year after they’re drafted, and the year after that?    Obviously the studs like GrayRod and Rom go straight to full season ball.     But I would have thought we’d see a few more of them on Aberdeen’s roster, like Adam Hall was last year.    Here are some high school guys we drafted the last 2 years:

Yeancarlos Lleras, 6th round

Cody Hacker, 15th round

Jake Zebron, 18th round

Andrew Jayne, 19th round

Of those, the only one I might have thought would progress to Aberdeen is Zebron, who was one of our better pitchers in the GCL last year.

Lamar Sparks, 5th round 

Jacob Brown, 18th round

Adam Stauffer, 19th round

Sparks has been hurt, the other two haven’t performed well.

Bottom line, in 2017-18 we haven’t drafted a ton of high school guys in the top 20 rounds of the draft, some of the ones we did draft didn’t sign (3 of them in 2017 including our 4th, 16th and 17th rounders), and others haven’t done very well.     And, we don’t have a pipeline of younger guys from from the DSL yet.

One guy to watch is Lleras, last year’s 6th rounder who was pretty young for his class.   He took his lumps in the GCL last summer and will return there, but still hasn’t turned 19.     

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

OK, but what happens to the high school picks the year after they’re drafted, and the year after that?    Obviously the studs like GrayRod and Rom go straight to full season ball.     But I would have thought we’d see a few more of them on Aberdeen’s roster, like Adam Hall was last year.    Here are some high school guys we drafted the last 2 years:

Yeancarlos Lleras, 6th round

Cody Hacker, 15th round

Jake Zebron, 18th round

Andrew Jayne, 19th round

Of those, the only one I might have thought would progress to Aberdeen is Zebron, who was one of our better pitchers in the GCL last year.

Lamar Sparks, 5th round 

Jacob Brown, 18th round

Adam Stauffer, 19th round

Sparks has been hurt, the other two haven’t performed well.

Bottom line, in 2017-18 we haven’t drafted a ton of high school guys in the top 20 rounds of the draft, some of the ones we did draft didn’t sign (3 of them in 2017 including our 4th, 16th and 17th rounders), and others haven’t done very well.     And, we don’t have a pipeline of younger guys from from the DSL yet.

One guy to watch is Lleras, last year’s 6th rounder who was pretty young for his class.   He took his lumps in the GCL last summer and will return there, but still hasn’t turned 19.     

You are putting way too much stock into finge high school picks. I mean, did you expect a different outcome?

10 hours ago, ChuckS said:

You are putting way too much stock into finge high school picks. I mean, did you expect a different outcome?

My point is simply that other teams seem to be able to find a fair number of 19-21 year olds to put on their NYP League teams, yet we aren’t.    So I was analyzing why.   As I look at it, our lack of Latino players is probably the biggest factor.    Last night Aberdeen played Hudson Valley, which had three Latino players in their lineup, all age 20.    We had one Latino, Carmona (19), and he was acquired from another organization.   

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Aberdeen has cut four players:

OF Tristan Graham (22nd rd, 2015)
C Luke Ringhofer (22/17)
OF Trey Truitt (34/18)
1B Juan Montes (Guatemala/13)

I was literally telling my friend last night at the game that Montes was a sad representation of our past international system.  Spent 4 years in the DSL with his best year being .258 and then 2 years I think in GCL.  Commented on Tristan as well.  Not many 2015 draftees make it this far in the game at such a low level.  Hate seeing guys get released, but the writing was on the wall for a while.