Recent roster move/IL rundown (try to keep up)

interloper

27 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Scott is 24.  If you know how Scott will be in the future you are probably better at seeing the future than Mike Elias.    

O's management is not playing for today.  They are playing for what players can become.  Some will make it, Some will not.   Scott has a chance to be good in the future if he can find his command.  I am sure he is getting a lot of help from the coaches in the effort to establish  him in  major leagues.

I agree with everything you said, but the fact is all the help hasn’t helped him yet. It is always possible that something will click, but nothing has clicked yet. You look at progress from day one, and he doesn’t seem to be progressing in a meaningful way.  His problems now are the same problems then. I disagree that he has a chance to be good in the future, Because he has shown so little improvement so far.

I’m sure that Mike is giving him a longer leash, and I understand why, but remember, Castro was, what, 24, when the Rockies cut him loose? And they haven’t lost any sleep over the decision.

36 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

You answered your own question.

If someone else had Tanner Scott and let him go, we would grab him in a second and release half our roster if we had to.

I think he's one of the many pitchers we've rushed and had bad results.

Yeah but Mike Wright also sat at 97, and Jason Garcia and Castro and Tommy Hunter and etc.

37 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I like Paul Fry and I think he’s going to be a competent pitcher, But I really wish, in this season of auditions, that they had called up someone else. Anyone else. If a marginal guy comes up and is terrible, fine, Send him back down, and release him when somebody better comes along. But I don’t understand the logic in continually calling up the same guys.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

I like Paul Fry and I think he’s going to be a competent pitcher, But I really wish, in this season of auditions, that they had called up someone else. Anyone else. If a marginal guy comes up and is terrible, fine, Send him back down, and release him when somebody better comes along. But I don’t understand the logic in continually calling up the same guys.

Lefty for a lefty and Fry is replacing an injured person, so he doesn't have to be in Norfolk for 10 days.

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Lefty for a lefty and Fry is replacing an injured person, so he doesn't have to be in Norfolk for 10 days.

I understand that, but why not bring up another lefty? One of the older guys in the single-A, perhaps? I’m not following the minor leagues as carefully as I should, so I don’t know who is merely “organizational depth“ and who actually has the potential to be a productive big leaguer, but there’s no need to bring up Paul again right and a desperate need to give as many marginal guys as possible a big league audition. 

2 hours ago, Philip said:

I understand that, but why not bring up another lefty? One of the older guys in the single-A, perhaps? I’m not following the minor leagues as carefully as I should, so I don’t know who is merely “organizational depth“ and who actually has the potential to be a productive big leaguer, but there’s no need to bring up Paul again right and a desperate need to give as many marginal guys as possible a big league audition. 

That would require putting that player on the 40 man roster and dumping someone else.

Yes, I know, there's plenty of dumpable guys on the 40 man.   And we've had plenty of churn at the back end of the 40 man roster, what are we at, maybe 10 DFAs so far this season?

But that has its limits.

• Upvote 1