The value of the slots...

AceKing

The Orioles traded 21 players to the Cubs for Pedro Araujo.

I never will understand why we would ever say that there was “no talent” available.  There is a whole world of talent.  Other teams loaded up with our money.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AceKing said:

I never will understand why we would ever say that there was “no talent” available.  There is a whole world of talent.  Other teams loaded up with our money.

That doesn't fit the narrative.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

That doesn't fit the narrative.

Obviously, there is always someone you can sign.    It’s just a matter of whether the return amounts to anything.    Obviously the Orioles felt the potential return on Araujo was more than they’d get by signing more guys from the 2018-19 class, while the Cubs thought the opposite.    That may have been a function of how many open spots each team had at that point in time to put these players.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Let me know if any of the 21 they signed with the Araujo money turns into anything.     

I am sure the Cubs system is stacked.  Adding lots more to it adds all kinds of intrigue.  If I was a Cubs fan, I’d be thrilled.

instead, I am on the Pedro Araujo end.

9 minutes ago, AceKing said:

This is pretty funny. What type of talent do you think you get with 21 players signed at the end of the IFA signing period? The right players are much more important than quantity of players. The Orioles have been signing 20-30 IFA every year in year's past. How's that worked out for them?

2 minutes ago, AceKing said:

I am sure the Cubs system is stacked.  Adding lots more to it adds all kinds of intrigue.  If I was a Cubs fan, I’d be thrilled.

instead, I am on the Pedro Araujo end.

So a bunch of players that averaged $35K a player? 

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is pretty funny. What type of talent do you think you get with 21 players signed at the end of the IFA signing period? The right players are much more important than quantity of players. The Orioles have been signing 20-30 IFA every year in year's past. How's that worked out for them?

Exactly! 

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The kind of talent this organization needs, I would imagine.  If you were told that the Orioles traded Araujo for 21 players, you’d be thrilled, I’d imagine.

We’d have scouting reports, and videos, and Luke would be giving us feedback.

instead, we get the “canned” thought that they “must be crappy cuz they wiz cheap”

let's wait at least 6 months until we start to criticize Elias for acting or not acting with the shell of an international scouting department that he currently has.

It seems like for the 2018-2019 period we are criticizing him for not helping us out while he was still in Houston, OR for showing up in the fall/winter here and then not having as much data as other teams in his new department that he just created.

Yes we know previous regimes did not address this issue adequately whatsoever, and big Pete should take the blame for that.

Now we have a new regime, one that actually is directly telling us that we are about to be more active than we ever have on this stage.    I know it's the internet, but you don't have to automatically criticize someone before we have meaningful data.

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

let's wait at least 6 months until we start to criticize Elias for acting or not acting with the shell of an international scouting department that he currently has.

It seems like for the 2018-2019 period we are criticizing him for not helping us out while he was still in Houston, OR for showing up in the fall/winter here and then not having as much data as other teams in his new department that he just created.

Yes we know previous regimes did not address this issue adequately whatsoever, and big Pete should take the blame for that.

Now we have a new regime, one that actually is directly telling us that we are about to be more active than we ever have on this stage.    I know it's the internet, but you don't have to automatically criticize someone before we have meaningful data.

It just further reiterates a point.  I agree with your post a lot, but it is frustrating (again) to be on the losing and laughing stock end on these deals.

This team needs talent.  Not excuses.

38 minutes ago, AceKing said:

Do the cubs have 2 DSL teams or a VSL team?  Keep in mind we don't have a VSL team.  Plus, we got to keep Araujo, but don't have to have him on the 40 man roster.  So that 40 man roster spot is allowing us to keep another player at the moment.  

I remember watching a portion of a documentary about baseball. I don’t remember the name or the specific topic,  or even if it was specifically a documentary at all,  but the scene I recall involves a grizzled fat old American scout in South America holding tryouts for hopeful players. The first scene involves a bunch of guys throwing and swinging and running On a crude baseball diamond, and at the end of the tryout, he holds up his hands, says, “that’s enough for today, no prospects.“ And then he walks away. 

The next day he went through the same process, but this time one young man goes through the same process, and the Scout says,”  he can run, he can hit, he can throw, we have a prospect.“

He must’ve been incredibly excited, but I bet he didn’t sign for very much, and I would be surprised if he went very far.

Archived