Wow, this bullpen reeks!

Frobby

Amazingly enough, the Orioles (thusfar) only have the 9th-worst bullpen ERA in the bb-ref splits database (going back to 1913).  And almost incomprehensibly the Orioles pen has been a bit better (about a 1/10th of a run a game) than the 2019 Nats'.  I don't even understand how an NL team facing 1/9th pitchers and pinch hitters can be worse than this year's Orioles.

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Amazingly enough, the Orioles (thusfar) only have the 9th-worst bullpen ERA in the bb-ref splits database (going back to 1913).  And almost incomprehensibly the Orioles pen has been a bit better (about a 1/10th of a run a game) than the 2019 Nats'.  I don't even understand how an NL team facing 1/9th pitchers and pinch hitters can be worse than this year's Orioles.

Plenty of baseball left.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Plenty of baseball left.

I'm going on record right now saying that the 2019 Orioles will not set the all time record for worst pen. The 1930 Phils gave up 407 runs (342 earned) in 383.1 innings. They were almost a run and a half worst than the 2nd-worst team ever.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm going on record right now saying that the 2019 Orioles will not set the all time record for worst pen. The 1930 Phils gave up 407 runs (342 earned) in 383.1 innings. They were almost a run and a half worst than the 2nd-worst team ever.

I was more referring to the Nats being worse.  I think we finish worse than them.

I agree, I don't think we end up the worst pen....but top 5?  I think a spot in the top 10 is pretty secure.

Armstrong has been the one surprise.  

Basically every single bullpen arm has regressed to some extent. Givens, Fry, Castro etc  Bleier was hurt, he does seem like he throwing better now. 

Perhaps in the second half Kline comes back and Hess can provide something. I can’t believe it is this bad. This is an extreme outcome even for a pen lacking talent.

Would think Elias just keeps throwing different AAAA guys out there and giving them chances and hopes another Armstrong happens.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I was more referring to the Nats being worse.  I think we finish worse than them.

I agree, I don't think we end up the worst pen....but top 5?  I think a spot in the top 10 is pretty secure.

10 is pretty safe.  They are going to set the record for homers allowed by a bullpen.  Probably by about 25%.  The O's record is 86, which they should pass in about a month. The MLB record is 103 by the 2016 Reds. That should fall in August.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Basically every single bullpen arm has regressed to some extent. Givens, Fry, Castro etc  Bleier was hurt, he does seem like he throwing better now. 

Perhaps in the second half Kline comes back and Hess can provide something. I can’t believe it is this bad. This is an extreme outcome even for a pen lacking talent.

Would think Elias just keeps throwing different AAAA guys out there and giving them chances and hopes another Armstrong happens.

I'm pretty interested in how the whole Armstrong thing happened.

We were able to offload one of our worst arms (Mike Wright) to Seattle for peanuts.  They cut Armstrong to make room, and we were able to scoop him up.

I'm wondering if Elias has discovered a new potential market inefficiency?  ;)

Trading crappy bullpen arms to crappy teams who want to cut their underperforming bullpen arms?

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

It's unfortunate that the rebuild coincided with the year of the super bounce ball. The league-wide homer record is probably going to be broken even if you exclude Orioles games. The old record was 1.26 homers/team/game.  It wouldn't surprise me if '19 ends up pretty close to 1.5.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's unfortunate that the rebuild coincided with the year of the super bounce ball. The league-wide homer record is probably going to be broken even if you exclude Orioles games. The old record was 1.26 homers/team/game.  It wouldn't surprise me if '19 ends up pretty close to 1.5.

They better do something about the ball. It is become a joke. 

The ball Mancini hit out Sunday looked more like a 360 ft flyout, instead it was over the fence.  

Plus summer is just arriving.