Is This the Bottom?

Aristotelian

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Last night was our 10th loss in a row, and 15th loss of the last 16. Winning % down to .276 puts us on track to finish even worse than last year and in the top 10 all time worst MLB seasons in the modern era. Last night was particularly frustrating, as we blew a 3 run lead, go down 10-3, then come back only to fall one run short against a sub-.500 SEA team. This after a frustrating game in which Bundy was staked a small lead but the offense missed opportunities to pad and Bundy and the bullpen fell apart in the 6th.

After signs of life, Davis is back to his under .300 SLG. The bullpen top to bottom has been absolutely atrocious despite guys with some MLB success.

Are we really this bad? I say this is the bottom. We are bad but not this bad. Means would be a huge story if this wasn't a lost season (let's hope he is OK). Bundy is looking at least decent. Severino has been very productive (I still say he deserves an All Star reserve spot). I say Cashner gets us a win tonight and our winning % will not drop below .276 again this season.

What happened to Means?

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Last night was our 10th loss in a row, and 15th loss of the last 16. Winning % down to .276 puts us on track to finish even worse than last year and in the top 10 all time worst MLB seasons in the modern era. Last night was particularly frustrating, as we blew a 3 run lead, go down 10-3, then come back only to fall one run short against a sub-.500 SEA team. This after a frustrating game in which Bundy was staked a small lead but the offense missed opportunities to pad and Bundy and the bullpen fell apart in the 6th.

After signs of life, Davis is back to his under .300 SLG. The bullpen top to bottom has been absolutely atrocious despite guys with some MLB success.

Are we really this bad? I say this is the bottom. We are bad but not this bad. Means would be a huge story if this wasn't a lost season (let's hope he is OK). Bundy is looking at least decent. Severino has been very productive (I still say he deserves an All Star reserve spot). I say Cashner gets us a win tonight and our winning % will not drop below .276 again this season.

Related image

Edited by El Gordo

2 hours ago, BarclaySouthway said:

Right.  There's a game tonight that they might just lose...

I didn't  even mean the streak getting longer. Imagine what we might look like in August after a couple of trades and God forbid injuries.

3 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I think they have new depths of misery to plumb.

in terms of W-L in 2019, I agree.  They very well may threaten the MLB record.

I don't understand how people expected any different though.  This year and most if not all of the players on this team at the major league level are irrelevant for the franchise's future success.

7 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I don't understand how people expected any different though.  This year and most if not all of the players on this team at the major league level are irrelevant for the franchise's future success.

Certainly we all expected us to be bad, and bad teams go through periods where they look even worse. I did expect Cobb to bounce back (he had a solid second half 2018) and the bullpen to be at least OK. I think most of the models had us preseason with about 55-57 wins (around 35% W/L), which is plenty terrible without being Historically Bad. A roster with all replacement level players should be at least as good as that, and yet we have at least a few guys (Mancini, Severino, Means, Villar, Alberto) producing at positive WAR levels. If we could just get the rest of the guys to produce 0 WAR we should be well ahead of our current pace. (Unfortunately we have a bunch of guys producing negative WAR).

Call me an optimist, but I say we are going to win tonight and go on to win .300.

Big picture, we have already passed the bottom as an organization by virtue of hiring Elias and reducing ownership control of baseball ops (international money, etc). No front office "Game of Thrones" dramas going on as far as I know.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

This has been the response to anyone questioning the team lately... I'm pretty sure 99% of the posters here expected them to be bad. That being said, they are historically bad. Two years in a row. I think it is fair for people to be frustrated at the moment and the OH is an outlet for the frustration. I'm not sure why people are surprised by that...

This isn't just about the ML team. There really isn't a whole lot of good going on with some of the MiL guys that were hopefully going to be contributors either later this year, or at least next season. 

As it looks to my untrained eye today, this could change, but today they pretty much need to trade for, draft, or sign in some form a full roster over the next 5 years to put a competitive team on the field. So, please forgive me for being a fan and being frustrated with the current situation. 

I'm not trying to be a jerk to you...but several of us got the, "what did you expect lecture this week".