2019-2020 International Signings Thread

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I wonder about that in any sport.  You have 16 year olds who are 6' 200 lbs and have been shaving for three years.  Then you have 16 year olds who are barely in puberty and are 5' 4", 120.  You draft the guy who hit his growth spurt at 13 and has been dominating kids who're physically inferior.  But does that mean he's going to better than the late bloomer at 19 or 25?

I have always believed that you dont want a 16 year old with a beard who has been buying beer since he was 12.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I wonder about that in any sport.  You have 16 year olds who are 6' 200 lbs and have been shaving for three years.  Then you have 16 year olds who are barely in puberty and are 5' 4", 120.  You draft the guy who hit his growth spurt at 13 and has been dominating kids who're physically inferior.  But does that mean he's going to better than the late bloomer at 19 or 25?

I know some college football teams test the bone age.

Hey Can of Corn: Feel better about the international spending? Not being a wise*ss, but curious about your thoughts. You were pretty pessimistic about a real financial commitment to the international market. Feeling less pessimistic?

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Hey Can of Corn: Feel better about the international spending? Not being a wise*ss, but curious about your thoughts. You were pretty pessimistic about a real financial commitment to the international market. Feeling less pessimistic?

No, no, please by all means, feel free to be a wiseass when engaging with CoC.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

If I were unhappy about how things were going today trust me you would have noticed.

So far it looks like a perfectly reasonable advancement in the team's international effort.

Optimistic that we’re finally fully engaged in using this as a source for talent.  But, have never heard of a single one of these guys.  They’ll all spend the next year or two in the Dominican at a version of extended spring training or the DSL.  By the time one or two of them reach Sarasota, someone here will have to remind us where they came from.

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Optimistic that we’re finally fully engaged in using this as a source for talent.  But, have never heard of a single one of these guys.  They’ll all spend the next year or two in the Dominican at a version of extended spring training or the DSL.  By the time one or two of them reach Sarasota, someone here will have to remind us where they came from.

How many guys would you know? I knew 1 name coming into this and the Yankees got him.

21 hours ago, SteveA said:

They were advertising them on the scoreboard this weekend... for $35.   Geez, $35 for a t-shirt?   If the dead Beatles reincarnated and the band reunited for a concert, I *might* pay that much for a concert t-shirt.   If it was cool looking.   But for a "J2" shirt that will be out of date Wednesday?   No sir, not me.

I've paid that much several times for a concert T (support your local rock bands!!!) but for an O's shirt? And a very obscure one at that. No thanks, but cool promo for us diehards.