2019 Trade Deadline

sportsfan8703

Just now, Lucky_13 said:

Yep I was happy to see Gausman go.

Now I'm hoping we do the same thing this year with Bundy. 

As much as I didn't like Gausman, I could see why a team would take a chance on him.  I don't really see it with Bundy.  Dude can barely crack 90 anymore.  Has a nice slider and strikes out batters at a decent rate.  But this will be his second season with a 5.00+ ERA.  

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Let's say you view Mancini as a 3 win/year player over the length of his team control (10 wins). 

If the O's can get 8 wins of projected future value isn't that worth more than 10 wins when they are not going to be competitive?

I guess that intentionally putting myself into a weaker position for negotiations is just against my nature.  I would prefer to stress the value to the team I'm trading him to.  It just seems to me that it is just poor business to do otherwise.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

As much as I didn't like Gausman, I could see why a team would take a chance on him.  I don't really see it with Bundy.  Dude can barely crack 90 anymore.  Has a nice slider and strikes out batters at a decent rate.  But this will be his second season with a 5.00+ ERA.  

What if you have a doctor with a brand new Dremel that can go to work on his shoulder capsule?

Just now, Number5 said:

I guess that intentionally putting myself into a weaker position for negotiations is just against my nature.  I would prefer to stress the value to the team I'm trading him to.  It just seems to me that it is just poor business to do otherwise.

I think you're already seeing this with the "reports" that orioles are likely to hold onto Mancini

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

It isn't preferred sure.

But would you do the trade I outlined or not? (I realized I reduced it to very simple terms that don't express a lot of the depth of the issue)

Just now, JMU_Birdfan said:

I think you're already seeing this with the "reports" that orioles are likely to hold onto Mancini

That would be better than trading him for less than he's worth, IMO.  There is no rush to trade him, as I see it.

I'm honestly very surprised we haven't heard more rumors of severino being dealt. There has to be a team out there (I'm too lazy to look) that is making a push for the playoffs, has a weak link at catcher, and would prefer something more than a rental.

I understand he's not dominating right now but he's been kinda hot recently and has some defensive value too.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Let's say you view Mancini as a 3 win/year player over the length of his team control (10 wins). 

If the O's can get 8 wins of projected future value isn't that worth more than 10 wins when they are not going to be competitive?

No, I would not.  I think the value of Mancini, while not guaranteed, is much more certain than your version of 8 projectable wins from a minor league player.  But I get that the value of 8 future wins is pretty equal to 10 present wins and I think that is the point you were making.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It isn't preferred sure.

But would you do the trade I outlined or not? (I realized I reduced it to very simple terms that don't express a lot of the depth of the issue)

Possibly.  I agree it would depend on the depth of the issue.