Bradford traded to Tampa Bay for player to be named later

Tony-OH

Zobrist has been -17 in plus/minus over the last three years. Hasn't played enough to qualify as a regular, but that's pretty bad. In RZR the average qualifying SS is about .800 or so. Zobrist is .789, .700, and .821 the last three years, with decreasing playing time each year.

Those are two pretty good defensive metrics, and they have him somewhere between below-average and awful.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No it is basically a trade. If we could not agree on a player they would have recalled him from waivers which means he would have been with us for the year. A player can be called back one time and then the second time he is claimed he is gone. Hopefully the PTBNL is someone worthwhile and maybe they thought he would be claimed. Or maybe Tampa is trying to pass the guy through now. Here is hoping for Zobrist or Brignac.

I was kidding. Oversimplifying. ;)

I'm not a big fan of Zobrist. Not to say I wouldn't take him back, but he's not that good defensively and, for whatever reason, he hasn't hit at the Major League level. I'm sure it's asking for too much to get more than Ben Zobrist back, but if that's the best we can get, so be it. But I'm sincerely doubting that he's filling any hole at SS for us.

If a player was drafted in 2007 they could be traded already. If it is someone from 2008 they cant be traded until next season.

Well, what if they were drafted in 2007 but didn't sign until after 8/7/2007? Don't they have to be a member of the franchise for one full year prior to being traded?

For the record, I find this possibility extremely unlikely.

Well, what if they were drafted in 2007 but didn't sign until after 8/7/2007? Don't they have to be a member of the franchise for one full year prior to being traded?

For the record, I find this possibility extremely unlikely.

Especially since a PTBNL deal has to be completed within 6 months... :)

Just to clarify a few things...

Zobrist is not the starter, no matter where you live, and Bartlett's wife did not just give birth. That was a month or two ago. What did happen the other night is Bartlett got hit on the finger trying to bunt, and was unable to play the field yesterday (though he did DH). Zobrist is only on the roster until they are sure Bartlett is ok, and at that point Zobrist will be sent back down so they can activiate Baldelli.

I am sure Zobrist is expendable, though I am not sure he is our answer. But something to watch... from what I understand if Zobrist is on the roster tonight, he can not be the PTBNL (perhaps someone can clarify?). So if they do not make a move before their game in Seattle tonight, it can't be him.

Just to clarify a few things...

Zobrist is not the starter, no matter where you live, and Bartlett's wife did not just give birth. That was a month or two ago. What did happen the other night is Bartlett got hit on the finger trying to bunt, and was unable to play the field yesterday (though he did DH). Zobrist is only on the roster until they are sure Bartlett is ok, and at that point Zobrist will be sent back down so they can activiate Baldelli.

I am sure Zobrist is expendable, though I am not sure he is our answer. But something to watch... from what I understand if Zobrist is on the roster tonight, he can not be the PTBNL (perhaps someone can clarify?). So if they do not make a move before their game in Seattle tonight, it can't be him.

PTBNL must change leagues IIRC if they are on the 25 man roster, therefore minor leaguers are generally chosen...

And here's an explanation:

In many trades, one or both of the teams may agree to send "a player to be named later". A specific player must be agreed upon within six months of the initial trade; if this does not occur, the two teams may agree upon a cash amount to be sent instead. Often, the teams will agree to a list of players who can be used as the PTBNL; such an agreement would happen before the trade has been announced, and once the trade is final, the team receiving the PTBNL may take any of the players from the list within six months.

If a team receives a PTBNL, the player must not have been playing in the league to which he is being sent at the time of the trade (e.g. if the Red Sox receive a PTBNL, the player may not have been playing in the American League at the time of the trade). This rule was instituted after Harry Chiti was traded for himself in 1962 (he was traded from the Indians to the Mets for a PTBNL, which turned out to be himself). As a result, PTBNL's are usually minor leaguers. Sometimes, teams will use players on the disabled list as players to be named so as to avoid having to get special permission from the commissioner's office.

So it could be Gomes considering he was sent down before the trade...

If a team receives a PTBNL, the player must not have been playing in the league to which he is being sent at the time of the trade (e.g. if the Red Sox receive a PTBNL, the player may not have been playing in the American League at the time of the trade). This rule was instituted after Harry Chiti was traded for himself in 1962 (he was traded from the Indians to the Mets for a PTBNL, which turned out to be himself).

Did the rule makers not notice that the Mets and Indians were in different leagues?

It certainly does. Oh well, it will still be intersting to see who we get. I think we can assume it's not a RH setup guy. :)

It sounds like a salary dump....but the coment could still apply if we got a cheap IF prospect.

I hope you are right...please god...many things do not go right in my life...but if you could bring brignac here...i would say thank you :D

WHAT???

Anyway, how could anyone possibly be serious that we could get anyone better than a Scott Moore type player for Bradford??? Anything else is irrational, delusional, just plain crazy!!! OK everyone take a deep breath and lighten up. You're scaring me now!

I love the O's too, but there is a bit more to life....

WHAT???

Anyway, how could anyone possibly be serious that we could get anyone better than a Scott Moore type player for Bradford??? Anything else is irrational, delusional, just plain crazy!!! OK everyone take a deep breath and lighten up. You're scaring me now!

I love the O's too, but there is a bit more to life....

I agree. Brignac for Bradford ... ha, yea right! :rofl:

Archived