Bradford traded to Tampa Bay for player to be named later

Tony-OH

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand the salary dump aspect and after all it is a bullpen arm...

BUT if AM let him go for a "C" level prospect, than I think that flies in the face of everything he has done here. If he couldn't be wowed enough by a package for George Sherrill than I've gotta think that we are targeting a few players would could really help the organization.

AM has set high price tags on his players, I think this is more than a salary dump

Bradford was likely worth 2 high draft picks for us at the end of next year. No way they've just given him away.
A type A? No, he definitely wasn't a Type A.

At the end of last year, he was rated at 70.184, 28th on the list, a Type B player. The cut off point to be a Type A player was 25th place on the list. Which was Matt Guerrier, at 72.040.

Conceivably he could have moved up, but it would be dependent on what he does in 2008 and 2009, and that the team offers him arbitration. Offer arbitration to a relief pitcher who would be 35 going into the 2010 season. I think not.

Total salary dump...and a good move.

Its also a roster dump.

Our bullpen now is Sherrill, Walker, Johnson, Sarfate, Castillo, Cormier, Bierd, and FCabrera.

Johnson, Sarfate, and Penn are out of options for 2009.

Baez and Ray return for 2009. Walker still might be here.

We will have a major crunch so just trying to get a head start on that.

The more I think about this the more I think MacPhail may have snagged Brignac. I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment but this is a deal AM didn't have to make. He could have gotten a pick next year for Bradford. He wasn't paying him that much anyway. He could have dealt him in the offseason. He had all the leverage.

I agree. Every team in the American League except for the Angels passed on claiming Bradford. I think it is amazing that teams like Detroit and Minnesota, with bullpens worse than the Orioles, didn't even bother to put in a waiver claim for a decent relief pitcher like Bradford.

You're not kidding. Especially since teams like Detroit and Minnesota (but even more so the Yankees) may well end up competing with the Rays for the last playoff spot come late September.

Even if you don't want to give up what MacPhail might have been asking for Bradford at the deadline, you could have closed the door on letting the competition snag him.

I just don't get it.

I always felt at least a little safe with Bradford in, because the chances were so slight he'd give up a homer. Plus it was fun to watch him throw. Of course he's not part of the team's longer-term plans but I hope they get something back.

Anecdote: I was at that game where Sherrill blew the save against the Nats. OK, there were 2 outs, the O's had a 2 run lead, and there were 2 men on. If you're not a slave to the "closer" role that would be a great time to put in a guy like Bradford.

Aren't waiver claims awarded on record for the previous season? Tampa had the worst record in the AL last season so they'd get first dibs. And like I said it wouldn't surprise me that the Red Sox blocked the trade to repay the Rays for the Javy deal hence the player had to be pulled back and made a PTBNL...

That's only for the 1st month of each new season....

I'd almost be disappointed if it isn't Zobrist. No chance that it's Bartlett.

On 1 hand, my gut says it's a salary dump, but my head says - Ruz, decent lefty relievers have serious value at this time of year, and he could be a Type A free agent after next season, so it should be for someone at Zobrist's value level. Does anyone know how good Zobrist is regarded defensively.

Archived