Mancini Drawing Interest

wildcard

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would take a lot to trade Trey at this point. He’s only 27 and will only be 30-31 when we are competitive again.

I have no problem trading him but it would have to be a 3-4 player deal with 1 top 100, a fringe top 100, and a good but less regarded prospect or two

40 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think it would take a lot to trade Trey at this point. He’s only 27 and will only be 30-31 when we are competitive again.

I have no problem trading him but it would have to be a 3-4 player deal with 1 top 100, a fringe top 100, and a good but less regarded prospect or two

I think your trade expectations for Mancini are a bit unrealistic. We'd be lucky to get a single top 100 prospect for him. He's a player without a position. That's a fact that can't be ignored. 

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

You all know how I feel. The kid is a solid player and would be  a "face of the franchise' if allowed to play here for few years. The sad reality in sports, and particularly in baseball, is that fans cant ever invest with their heart in a player because of constant turnover. We've lost Machado, Schoop, Britton, Gausman, Weiters, and even Adam Jones. Im not saying those departures aren't understandable, but what I am saying is the constant losses in transactions effect the fan base. I get that we are re-building, but to get a few decent prospects, most whom won't pan out in trading a player like Mancini seems unnecessary at this point.The days of Brooks Robinson playing for the Orioles for 23 straight seasons are gone, but Trey seems like a good fit for this town. Let him play here, and let the fans enjoy a relationship with a good young player.We're not going anywhere anyway, for a long time.

...but everything this team is doing is for the future not the present. With his age and limited defensive ability it's not a given that he's part of the future. On a personal level I love Mancini, but personal decisions (see the Davis contract) have been getting this franchise in trouble for decades. 

Keep him.  With Trumbo gone and likely something to be done with Davis postseason, not quite the 1B/DH logjam there once was.  Mancini, Renato, Montcastle on the way.  Davis' 90 MPH fastball coming out of high school was 91% percentile, 84 MPH was class average for prospects.  Immediately after the season they should convert him to a reliever and see if he can develop enough to have some value at some point.  That's if they can't agree to a buyout.

54 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

30-31 is old for a PED-less league. We’d be just repeating the Davis mistake all over. 

The way I see it Mancini won’t be a contributor in 2022+. So we should get assets that will be. 

So assuming most teams view Mancini as a 1B or DH I just looked at the contending teams and the only one that seems desperate enough for offense to consider trading for him is Cleveland. Here are the three players they have in the top 100. 

37 Triston McKenzie P

43 Nolan Jones - 3b

86 Tyler Freeman - 2b/SS 

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

So assuming most teams view Mancini as a 1B or DH I just looked at the contending teams and the only one that seems desperate enough for offense to consider trading for him is Cleveland. Here are the three players they have in the top 100. 

37 Triston McKenzie P

43 Nolan Jones - 3b

86 Tyler Freeman - 2b/SS 

I think we’d be lucky to get Freeman. Shane Baz from TB would be a “realistic” return. It sucks that we have to trade him, but this team is 15 pitchers away from contending.  It’s all about acquiring assets for 2022 and beyond.

MASN keeps building the up Mancini as an All Star snub when he has less WAR than Alberto and Villar.  He is just so terrible defensively that I can’t see getting anything back of value and he is making next to nothing so I can’t see us trading him this year.  

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we’d be lucky to get Freeman. Shane Baz from TB would be a “realistic” return. It sucks that we have to trade him, but this team is 15 pitchers away from contending.  It’s all about acquiring assets for 2022 and beyond.

We are decent team when Means and Cashner start.  Bundy is serviceable. Hpget a couple decent starters and a couple relievers and make an effort to get some serviceable pieces in the field and we might be a good team.

Mancini can hit and no mistake. He can’t defend very well, which is also not really a question. But is it really that bad? Is his defense acceptable enough that it doesn’t detract from his value? If he’s an acceptable 1B, then he’s a possibility for NL teams, and the Rockies would LOVE him.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Mancini can hit and no mistake. He can’t defend very well, which is also not really a question. But is it really that bad? Is his defense acceptable enough that it doesn’t detract from his value? If he’s an acceptable 1B, then he’s a possibility for NL teams, and the Rockies would LOVE him.

I think the answer is probably yes, but the problem it's too small of a sample size for most teams to know that for sure. Therein lies another problem with Davis still being on this team. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Respectfully disagree. Mancini hits well but duplicates what we already have in great abundance. Sisco looks like he’s developing into a worthwhile catcher, and Trumbo will take his millions and go away, but that leaves Nunez(for now anyway) Mountcastle and possibly Stewart-at least- as younger and/or cheaper replacements.

Moving Mancini should happen to clear the logjam. I don’t think he’ll bring back quantity And quality. One solid midfielder and a AA possibility is probably more reasonable, but should be done regardless.

One thing Dan never did, for whatever reason, was trade assets at peak value. Here’s hoping Mike knows better.

Archived