MLBTR's take on O's trades

wildcard

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They dumped Brach and bundled O'Day with Gausman.

Also, according to Wildcard they haven't paid Cashner his signing bonus yet and he's due to cash in on some of his incentives.  It's more than just a couple million we are talking about.

Maybe they are OK with paying Cashner, or sending money with him to get back better prospects.  Maybe not, we don't know.

I believe the O's have an option on Cashner for next season that they can elect not to exercise.  O'Day, on the other hand, was owed another full season's salary guaranteed when traded.  Additionally, while Cashner is performing well now, O'Day was out injured when he was traded.  Not really comparable situations either financially or baseball-wise, IMO.

2 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I believe the O's have an option on Cashner for next season that they can elect not to exercise.  O'Day, on the other hand, was owed another full season's salary guaranteed when traded.  Additionally, while Cashner is performing well now, O'Day was out injured when he was traded.  Not really comparable situations either financially or baseball-wise, IMO.

One of the goals last year was to cut payroll.  They reportedly tried to trade Cashner's contract this offseason.  They added very minimal payroll to the team.

It is certainly possible that the team is still motivated to lower payroll.

Honestly I am at a loss how folks are seemingly not willing to admit it's a possibility.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

One of the goals last year was to cut payroll.  They reportedly tried to trade Cashner's contract this offseason.  They added very minimal payroll to the team.

It is certainly possible that the team is still motivated to lower payroll.

Honestly I am at a loss how folks are seemingly not willing to admit it's a possibility.

Oh, no question.  I'm sure they are at least considering trading Cashner.  I was just saying that Cashner this year isn't really comparable to O'Day last year.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

The O's would trade any of these four.  The question is does any contending team think they can help them in the pennant race and are they willing to pay Elias' price in prospects or salary relief?

Seems like contender are likely to make low offers for Givens and Elias will hold out for who he think are the prospects that match Givens value..  I think he stays rather then take a low ball offer.

His salary and bonuses are high for two months on service.   Someone may want him for next year as well which will make more sense.    He is the 6th starter on MLBTR's list.   I think Elias goes for salary relief over the O's paying a huge amount to get better prospects..   The prospect return is probably minimal. But I think he does get traded.

Mancini is worth a lot to the O's.  I don't see anyone matching Elias' asking price   I think he stays.  I don't think the face of the franchise means a thing in Elias' trade evaluation.

I question whether any team feels his defense would be an improvement.   He can run, steal and has some power.  His 1.6m salary on July 31st should not be a problem.   I will be surprised if anyone wants him.  I think he stays and is non tendered this fall rather than pay him 7m in arbitration.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/top-60-trade-candidates-at-the-all-star-break.html

I think you are exactly right on all four.

Villar is a sloppy player, and no one wants him except for free. He makes too many dumb mistakes and too many mistakes in general. He’s a bad player for a bad team.

Mancini Is no more the face of the franchise than Manny was, But no one’s going to give up anything significant for him so he stays( Although I believe he should be traded)

Cashner Has trade value and he’s not too expensive, plus a team can taking on the salary and give up a little or take on a little salary and give a lot. The only fly in the ointment is that he doesn’t want to leave, and he’s made that public.

Givens, Meh. Someone will give up something for him and stick him in middle relief. If Texas decides to go for it( I do not think they will) Texas is the most likely destination for both players.

3 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Mancini + Cashner + cash to the Indians could bring back a nice prospect. The Indians are in the 2nd WC spot and only 1.5 games behind the Rays for the top spot. They've been playing a lot better, pulling within 6.5 games of the Twins, but could use a starting pitcher and right-handed hitter. They don't have any money, so they would need the O's to pay most of Cashner's salary. They have some well-regarded middle infielders at the lower levels of their farm system. Could be a fit.

So 1 + season of Cashner and Mancini 3+ years of control and cash will get us “a nice prospect”? 

Im glad you are not our GM