Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

MurphDogg

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I agree with the approach but I still think they could've gotten at least one guy that was more advanced that projected as a major leaguer. I think this was done hastily. I wonder if Elias put out there to all clubs that he was taking offers and would be moved in a week. 

As I said I'm good with the deal and trust the guys making these decisions now. It's more important that we have the #1 than have Cashner the rest of  Ge season.

I guess it's always better to judge something before you have the facts, just in case you're wrong.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don't see the point of wishing bad on Cashner. I hope the Red Sox and the Yankees lose everyday. But I appreciate what Cash has done for the Orioles at a very reasonable price and wish him success.

I'm not wishing bad on Cashner, I'm wishing bad on the Red Sox :) 

Cashner seems like a good dude, I just don't think much of his pitching skills.  I would wish bad things on someone like Colby Rasmus.

46 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I guess it's always better to judge something before you have the facts, just in case you're wrong.

It goes without saying that one must always make judgements on available facts. We have very few facts relating to the “Why” of this deal, so it’s a given for most people that we are speculating using Occam’s Razor.

on the surface, this looks to me like a bad trade: we moved too soon( what would have happened in the next three weeks?) we got too little( only two interested teams now but if more get involved the price goes up) and other players in similar situations have brought back more.

Yes we don’t have all the facts but those are all defensible positions.

Having said that, I’m willing to trust Mike. He DOES have all the facts.

So charge on.

3 hours ago, ScGO's said:

After Cashner trade, next most likely to be traded in this order

1) Givens

2) Villar

3) Mancini

4) Bundy

At that point what reason does anyone have to watch this team for the next several years?  If those players are all gone I don’t even have a reason to read the box scores.  Other than Givens I don’t think we get anything back in value,  and with Cashner teprade return I think with Elias in charge we don’t even get anything for Givens.

Maybe instead of trading away gipiys like these why don’t we trade for them. They all have years left on their contracts.  Trade away some non prospects and if you get a team, full of guys like them you could compete for a wild card.  The new under valued asset.

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

It goes without saying that one must always make judgements on available facts. We have very few facts relating to the “Why” of this deal, so it’s a given for most people that we are speculating using Occam’s Razor.

on the surface, this looks to me like a bad trade: we moved too soon( what would have happened in the next three weeks?) we got too little( only two interested teams now but if more get involved the price goes up) and other players in similar situations have brought back more.

Yes we don’t have all the facts but those are all defensible positions.

Having said that, I’m willing to trust Mike. He DOES have all the facts.

So charge on.

So many people using Occam's Razor that the blade is dull.

17 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

"Average arm and smooth swing," is how they classify the higher paid of the two.

Please, someone attach that "oh..." gif...

I think the biggest take away from this trade, and some others we’ve made recently is that whoever was refusing to deal significantly in the international market was handicapping the ability of the Orioles to get anything worthwhile back in trades. How many of these guys could we have signed ourselves? And to give up  reasonably valuable assets for guys we could’ve signed ourselves for $80,000 or what have you is embarrassing. 

It is encouraging that the front office has changed the approach to the international market.

Archived