Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

MurphDogg

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Koby knows, Koby knows. 

Just now, Philip said:

The dullest razor is sharper than the sharpest brick.

Oh, that’s a platitude. What the heck is he going to say? “Boy we sure are glad to get rid of those losers.“?

It’s interesting that the emotion expressed in this comment, whether real or simulated, reflects more emotion than Dan ever expressed in any comment I ever read of his.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think the biggest take away from this trade, and some others we’ve made recently is that whoever was refusing to deal significantly in the international market was handicapping the ability of the Orioles to get anything worthwhile back in trades. How many of these guys could we have signed ourselves? And to give up  reasonably valuable assets for guys we could’ve signed ourselves for $80,000 or what have you is embarrassing. 

It is encouraging that the front office has changed the approach to the international market.

Peter Angelos is very old.  If you were an owner who was in his mid 80s and a GM says if we sign this guy there is a 1 in 20 chance that he might help the team in 6 to 8 years what would you say.  Hey even I might get to be retired by the time these guys have any remote chance of helping the team,  

1 minute ago, vab said:

I'll take these kids over the type of 4-A talent they got last year for the most part in those trades. 

Yet last year everyone was estatic with these trades.  I was very upset with the return we got for Gausman and Britton and everyone was downvoting me.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Peter Angelos is very old.  If you were an owner who was in his mid 80s and a GM says if we sign this guy there is a 1 in 20 chance that he might help the team in 6 to 8 years what would you say.  Hey even I might get to be retired by the time these guys have any remote chance of helping the team,  

Angelos is 90.

I'd say "Boy you sure are doing a poor job phrasing your request in such a manner.".  It is almost as if you don't want me to agree to your request.

Just now, Frobby said:

Angelos is 90.

Yeah but he wasn’t when he was in charge of the team.  Either way his decision making process makes sense.  Maybe if I were a fan in my 20s I would be on board.  In 10 years I will probably be retired and move somewhere else.  Become a fan of the local team.  What do i care about them signing non top rated 16 year olds who are 8 years away if we are lucky.

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

That’s another thing I was thinking just this morning. Mike is acting as if he cares more about the future than the present. Dan acted as if he cared more about the present than the future.

Whether he was doing those, “sacrifice future for present” moves under duress or not is moot. We can only be glad that things have changed.

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah but he wasn’t when he was in charge of the team.  Either way his decision making process makes sense.  Maybe if I were a fan in my 20s I would be on board.  In 10 years I will probably be retired and move somewhere else.  Become a fan of the local team.  What do i care about them signing non top rated 16 year olds who are 8 years away if we are lucky.

They will be eligible for the Rule 5 draft in 6 years. If they aren’t good enough To be protected by that time, it will be clear that we lost.So it’s 6 years or nothing.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

They will be eligible for the Rule 5 draft in 6 years. If they aren’t good enough To be protected by that time, it will be clear that we lost.So it’s 6 years or nothing.

Yeah but you can stay on here 40 man without being in the big leagues.  Hays has been on the 40 man for his third year and we aren’t certain on him.

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am a fan in my 60s and am totally on board with the plan.  I have already made sure  my heirs know that any pennants from any future titles be appropriately shared with me at my resting place....lol    But I hope God’s will is for us all to see quite a bit more winning (and losing) baseball before being blessed to be hearing Chuck call all the games through eternity. 

Yeah but you can stay on here 40 man without being in the big leagues.  Hays has been on the 40 man for his third year and we aren’t certain on him.

You completely missed my point. If they’re not good enough to be put on the 40 man within six years, we have lost. It is possible that they are good enough to be on the 40 man and are still bad, but Deserving a 40 men spot indicates something positive. If they don’t, Then it will be obvious that we wasted our time back in those good old days of 2019.

Archived