Who is next?

mcloy

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Would you rather have one “Ryan McKenna” type or 2-3 “Gunnar Henderson” types?

At this point, give me as many lotto tickets as possible that can win the most money. 

Unfortunately that’s what Dan was doing, he was trading for quantity, and there’s a reason it’s called “wretched abundance”

Remember the famous far side comic strip where the tigers are stalking the zebras, And one of them says to the others, “forget this ‘ Old and infirm‘ stuff. I want something in its prime!”

We want some grade A Prime.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Unfortunately that’s what Dan was doing, he was trading for quantity, and there’s a reason it’s called “wretched abundance”

Remember the famous far side comic strip where the tigers are stalking the zebras, And one of them says to the others, “forget this ‘ Old and infirm‘ stuff. I want something in its prime!”

Maybe...just maybe...Dan couldn't get grade A prime in return.  

I don't have any idea of how MLB trade negotiations go.  But I can't imagine Dan would approach teams and just say "gimme as many prospects as you can, I'm not looking for high quality here."

58 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

consummate...is certainly an interesting choice of words. 

Not unless you’re really into innuendo. It’s a perfectly normal word. The problem with the nationals are obvious, and if management did not want to deal with nationals, they certainly wouldn’t be telling anybody, except Mike, and he certainly is not going to trumpet it to the world.

FYI

According to MASN's Roch Kubatko, the Phillies and Nationals are among the teams showing interest in Orioles closer Mychal Givens.

• Givens owns an underwhelming 4.50 ERA on the season and was demoted from the ninth-inning role in Baltimore at one point, but he's been better lately and holds an encouraging 51/16 K/BB ratio in 36 total frames. The 29-year-old right-hander reached salary arbitration for the first time this winter and is under control through 2021. Kubatko writes that Givens is "definitely" available for a trade, should an attractive offer come along.

39 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Wow seriously? I didn't insult the man, I just stated a fact. A fact that I think most would agree with. Roch's role has definitely changed with the new regime. The majority of his social media posts are now about roster moves or game by game play by play. I don't remember seeing a single post about Cashner being traded before it happened. In years past I think he would have probably known that something was brewing, even if he didn't have all the details. It's pretty clear that the new regime is keeping that information close to the vest. 

Roch is an employee of the Team.  Can’t be too pushy in interviews, can’t be negative publicly, has to walk a very fine line. It’s a very delicate position to be in. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

There is little doubt that Villar makes some mental mistakes on the bases. Saying that, if i need a second baseman for a run and I only had to give up a 8-12 prospects in the my system then I'd probably make that move.

Oddly enough, I think the OH overvalued Cashner and undervalues what Villar could bring back.  Some contender will want a guy like Villar, especially if we pay his salary for a better package.  

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Idk about this.  Unless you're talking about the trade returns from last year's trade deadline.  I think DD got a lot of the guys he did because they had to be on the 40 man.  So I don't think it was quantity over quality.  It was take whatever I can get, even if it's international bonus slots.  

At this point a C level position player in AA does us no good.  We need to try and acquire top flight talent.  Even if the means taking guys in deals from the DSL.  

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

I know you were a Dan hater, but besides Machado (who was a two and half month), what was he giving up? 

Now maybe Dan went for quantity over high end quality, but there's really no way of knowing. 

It's the same with Elias this time. What does he have to trade? His best chip is a Mychal Givens, who is a 7th/8th inning reliever who has struggled in a closer role on an awful team and who has put up a 4.15 ERA (3.58 FIP) since 2017 (hardly dominant).

Cashner was a 32-year old starter with a 4.26 FIP and a 6.2 K/9 who had five good starts in a row to make himself even somewhat marketable.

I probably like Villar more than some others around here, but unless a couple of contending teams have a need at 2B, he's not bringing a ton of return. 

At the end of the day, Elias is probably going to take young lottery tickets over the Dillon Tate's and Even Phillip's of the baseball "prospect" world for returns, as he should.

44 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Wow seriously? I didn't insult the man, I just stated a fact. A fact that I think most would agree with. Roch's role has definitely changed with the new regime. The majority of his social media posts are now about roster moves or game by game play by play. I don't remember seeing a single post about Cashner being traded before it happened. In years past I think he would have probably known that something was brewing, even if he didn't have all the details. It's pretty clear that the new regime is keeping that information close to the vest. 

You did not say a single thing wrong. My wife was telling me about a friend of hers who is talking to a family member in China, and they started discussing the situation in Hong Kong and suddenly the phone call was disconnected and she could not get back in touch with her family member. It’s obvious that her phone call was being monitored and is soon as they started to say something negative, the government cut off the phone. Thank God we don’t have the situation here.

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe...just maybe...Dan couldn't get grade A prime in return.  

I don't have any idea of how MLB trade negotiations go.  But I can't imagine Dan would approach teams and just say "gimme as many prospects as you can, I'm not looking for high quality here."

The Dodgers spent a pretty penny on Diaz not too long ago.  Kremer led all of the minors in SO last year.  I think he got Quality.  

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Roch is an employee of the Team.  Can’t be too pushy in interviews, can’t be negative publicly, has to walk a very fine line. It’s a very delicate position to be in. 

My point was he had connections before and seemingly people in positions of authority who would share information with him. That doesn't seem to be happening anymore. Now he finds out about things when the rest of the world does. It's not a knock against him it's just the reality of the situation. So when he dances around answering a question like will the Orioles trade with the Nationals it makes me believe it's more about no one telling him they wouldn't then him actually knowing. Does that make sense? 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

At the end of the day, Elias is probably going to take young lottery tickets over the Dillon Tates and Even Phillips of the baseball "prospect" world for returns, as he should.

Completely agree. Go for young upside, consistently. It's a long term rebuild strategy. Not focused on the near term. Good.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I know you were a Dan hater, but besides Machado (who was a two and half month), what was he giving up? 

Now maybe Dan went for quantity over high end quality, but there's really no way of knowing. 

It's the same with Elias this time. What does he have to trade? His best chip is a Mychal Givens, who is a 7th/8th inning reliever who has struggled in a closer role on an awful team and who has put up a 4.15 ERA (3.58 FIP) since 2017 (hardly dominant).

Cashner was a 32-year old starter with a 4.26 FIP and a 6.2 K/9 who had five good starts in a row to make himself even somewhat marketable.

I probably like Villar more than some others around here, but unless a couple of contending teams have a need at 2B, he's not bringing a ton of return. 

At the end of the day, Elias is probably going to take young lottery tickets over the Dillon Tate's and Even Phillip's of the baseball "prospect" world for returns, as he should.

I was shocked by what we got in return for Schoop last year.  It only takes one team, that has a need at SS, to make a deal work.  We have two weeks till the deadline.  I'm not sure what teams need a 2B/SS, but I expect Villar to be traded.  It could be just like Schoop, we trade him, and he gets non tendered.  

Elias is in a totally different spot than DD was last year.  DD was just taking the best he could get, and the only reason we even got that much quantity was because of the 40 man roster requirements on the players he received back.  Now, we don't have some stacked 40 man, but it would be better for us to take players with higher ceilings than guys with higher floors.