I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

Just now, NCRaven said:

This is the first move by Elias that I flat out disagree with.  Keeping a sunk cost like Davis and dumping a useful player over $7-10 million in today’s baseball dollars is sick,

Unbelievable cheap move.....No justification .... Just Greed!

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Spl51 said:

The fact that you think this cratering is a plan and not forced on them given the circumstances, show that you haven't been paying attention. This is the beginning of the process to get to a new system, not the middle of it.

He's clearly been paying attention. He just doesn't agree with it. The Orioles' new process is by no means a slam-dunk to success.

• Upvote 1

Just now, theocean said:

He's clearly been paying attention. He just doesn't agree with it. The Orioles' new process is by no means a slam-dunk to success.

It's clearly not a slam dunk but I like the "all in" much more than a half way approach, talking in general, not specific to Villar. 

And I don't think Villar is done. I still think he gets traded before Monday night.

• weams changed the title to I really want to keep Villar (Update: Outright Waived)
9 minutes ago, SteveA said:

That's certainly not their stated strategy.   Their stated strategy is to build a sustaining farm and development system that is continually pumping out young players to keep the team in contention.   And that is certainly, so far, what has happened with the Astros, who have been good a lot longer than 2-3 years now.

Where are you getting that from?

You can quibble about the number of years that they will compete, it likely is more than 2-3, it depends on the market size, but the strategy is dependent on hitting rock bottom for multiple years which is what the Astros did. It is dependent on insulting your paying fans in the non-competing years. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Ok. When does he come off?  Were you told this? Not being sarcastic. I'd like to know. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

The Orioles did not announce this yet. And don't look for the website to be updated. The point was he is not coming back unless as a FA. 

Since you are on Twitter, check out Dan Connelly, since I can't post tweets for some reason.

Villar was put on the "waiver wire," meaning he is still with the team and on the 40 man roster UNTIL a trade is made or he is released.

If no trade happens prior to the non tender deadline, he will either be offered a contract or not, making him a free agent.

"DFA" is a MUCH different meaning when it comes to a roster move. 

Not all roster moves are equal.