Not a lot of room on next years 40 man roster

wildcard

29 minutes ago, wildcard said:

But that is not the discussion that is going on.   Posters are saying DFA or release players because they don't like them, or don't think they will every help the team.  No mention of replacing them.

Maybe the thread has changed topics, but it seems to me like you're moving the goal posts. The thread title talks about next year's 40 man roster. We can expose many guys to the Rule V draft and still have their control next year without keeping them on the 40 man roster. 

I don't think the topic is at all about guys clearing waivers, as you're now saying it is. Like I said, maybe the thread took another turn in the last page or two, but that's not what the title says.

45 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Not even close to a roster crunch now.

I believed then it was a mistake to let Arrieta go, just as it would be for Scott if we didn't include him in the 40-man roster this year or next.

Although the return turned out to be bad, I do not have a problem with trading Jake at the time. He was obviously unhappy and it was obvious that what we were doing wasn’t working. If we had kept him  I don’t think he ever would’ve had any success. And it’s the same with Scott, he may be fixable, although I doubt it, but even with the new guys who have come in, he hasn’t shown any meaningful improvement. Every time he comes into a game I hope he does well, I am not rooting against him, but I think the last time he came into a game he walked the bases loaded and then left.

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Maybe the thread has changed topics, but it seems to me like you're moving the goal posts. The thread title talks about next year's 40 man roster. We can expose many guys to the Rule V draft and still have their control next year without keeping them on the 40 man roster. 

I don't think the topic is at all about guys clearing waivers, as you're now saying it is. Like I said, maybe the thread took another turn in the last page or two, but that's not what the title says.

The discussion progressed with some saying that many of  the players on the list would pass through waivers therefore not needing to be on the 40 man roster.

22 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The discussion progressed with some saying that many of  the players on the list would pass through waivers therefore not needing to be on the 40 man roster.

So it was worth pointing out that not putting them on our 40 man does not mean we're cutting them or that they are put on waivers.

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Realistically like 8-10 conservatively.   

Alvarado isn't a must add.  Ruiz is gone.  Davis should be gone.  Villar could be non tendered.

I'm pretty sure that Mullins, Rondon, Martin, Ynoa, Wilkerson would all have about an 80%+ chance of clearing waivers.  

Alvarado - I accept that opinion.

Ruiz - Whether Ruiz is gone depends on whether Elias values his defense at 3B.  They don't have a better defensive 3B.

Davis - Is not going anywhere as long that Elias feels the team is not ready to win.  Probably he stays until at least 2021.   The active roster expanding to 26 makes it easier to keep him.

Villar - I agree he may be traded or non tendered.  But then I thought he would be traded in July.  So he has to stay on the roster until we find out more.

Mullins is 24 and has options.  He had a 818 OPS in 443 at bat at AA/AAA in 2018.  Someone would claim him.

Rondon  (25) was claimed by the O's as the first team that  had a chance at him.  There are probably others of the 29 teams that would claim him.

Martin  (24) if waivered prior to returning  him to Oakland  he would probably be claimed by a non contender.   There is only a month before rosters expand and it will be easy after that to keep in an organization.  He will have 3 options beginning next season.   Someone claims him.

Ynoa - (26) Everyone is looking for pitching.  He profiles as a MLB reliever learning in the majors.  He has a 3.86 ERA in July in 7 games in relief.   He may have found his niche.   He probably gets claimed considering the need for pitching in August.

Wilkerson -(27) You have to be kidding.  He is hitting for a 780 OPS vs righties.   He would be claimed in a half second.  He has options.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Alvarado - I accept that opinion.

Ruiz - Whether Ruiz is gone depends on whether Elias values his defense at 3B.  They don't have a better defensive 3B.

Davis - Is not going anywhere as long that Elias feels the team is not ready to win.  Probably he stays until at least 2021.   The active roster expanding to 26 makes it easier to keep him.

Villar - I agree he may be traded or non tendered.  But then I thought he would be traded in July.  So he has to stay on the roster until we find out more.

Mullins is 24 and has options.  He had a 818 OPS in 443 at bat at AA/AAA in 2018.  Someone would claim him.

Rondon  (25) was claimed by the O's as the first team that  had a chance at him.  There are probably others of the 29 teams that would claim him.

Martin  (24) if waivered prior to returning  him to Oakland  he would probably be claimed by a non contender.   There is only a month before rosters expand and it will be easy after that to keep in an organization.  He will have 3 options beginning next season.   Someone claims him.

Ynoa - (26) Everyone is looking for pitching.  He profiles as a MLB reliever learning in the majors.  He has a 3.86 ERA in July in 7 games in relief.   He may have found his niche.   He probably gets claimed considering the need for pitching in August.

Wilkerson -(27) You have to be kidding.  He is hitting for a 780 OPS vs righties.   He would be claimed in a half second.  He has options.

We drafted 3 college OF with our first 8 draft picks. I think that is an indication about how they feel about Mullins and the organizational OF depth in general.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

But that is not the discussion that is going on.   Posters are saying DFA or release players because they don't like them, or don't think they will every help the team.  No mention of replacing them.

That’s a discussion we cannot have yet, because we don’t know who is available to replace them. I think there’s going to be a tremendous amount of waiver claiming going on, and I think guys like Rodon Should not bother unpacking his bags.

On 8/2/2019 at 1:17 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Exactly.

A lot of people are acting like every position player needs to be Trout and every pitcher needs to be Scherzer on for every player on the 40.

We have an absolutely horrible team. You don’t need to protect guys on the 40 that no other team would put on their 40 man.  

On 8/2/2019 at 11:16 AM, wildcard said:

I have never seen Rondon play.  Have you?  How do you give up on someone you have never seen?  He is 25 years old on a rebuilding team. Mullins is 24 and has options.   

I have not seen an injury report on Carroll.  He certainly had a good minor league career.  I don't have enough information on his injury to give up on him.  Hess is not a starter but he has barely been tried as a reliever.   He is 25 with an option.

Giving up on the young, injured and a player I have never seen does not seem smart to me.

I didn’t need to see him play.  I can look at his stats both minor and major league and tell he isn’t a keeper. You don’t need to squirrel away a bunch of below replacement level guys,  there will always be better players available than them for the league minimum.

On 8/1/2019 at 10:40 PM, Philip said:

Why keep Scott? He throws really hard and really wild and that has never changed. He has an ability and not a skill and he’s had ample time to develop his ability into a skill and hasn’t done so. No reason to keep him.

Just noticed looking at the Norfolk box tonight that Scott is only a few months older than Harvey, and I don't think anyone would suggest we give up on Harvey. Both had shutout innings tonight. Scott is below 3 now in ERA at Norfolk. I hope he finishes strong there and is ready to pitch in middle relief next year.

26 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Just noticed looking at the Norfolk box tonight that Scott is only a few months older than Harvey, and I don't think anyone would suggest we give up on Harvey. Both had shutout innings tonight. Scott is below 3 now in ERA at Norfolk. I hope he finishes strong there and is ready to pitch in middle relief next year.

The differences between the two have nothing to do with age so age isn't a consideration. Harvey hasn't had a chance at all. Scott hasn't produced in his time in the bigs, and he hasn't addressed his problem. 

You don't think it would matter if Scott were 30 instead of 25? I think age matters a lot from all the reports you see about someone's age 22 season or age 24 season etc....Scott may never figure it out, but he would not be the first guy to find himself at age 26 or later.

On 8/3/2019 at 5:45 PM, atomic said:

I didn’t need to see him play.  I can look at his stats both minor and major league and tell he isn’t a keeper. You don’t need to squirrel away a bunch of below replacement level guys,  there will always be better players available than them for the league minimum.

It seems like 1/2 of the O's 40 man roster is made up of guys with the upside of Joey Rickard and T.J. McFarland.  How many end of the bench and middle relievers do the O's need?