If you were an owner

PaulBako

The team within my division that traditionally draws the worst - because I want ticket sales, and we'll get sellouts whenever we face his team.

Of course, that's if the shirt color doesn't yield a firm decision.

Actually, I'd trade him to the team that my GM decides to. He's my GM, so I'd let him do his job.

If your franchise was the St. Louis Cardinals and you didn't want to devalue your franchise by approximately 50%, you'd threaten your GM with castration if he even brought up the subject of a trade before it was the only alternative to losing Pujols via free agency.

Kind of like the Phillies with Scott Rolen....

Once Pujols gets up into his mid-to-late thirties, if the Cardinals aren't going anywhere, the trade speculation could become overwhelming.

When "Trader Frank" Lane tried to trade off Stan Musial, his assistant, Bing Devine, leaked the word to owner Gussie Busch, who told Lane in no uncertain terms to lay off. Cardinals fans remember; they'd lynch an owner who allowed Pujols to be dealt before he wore out his welcome. You should have read the firestorms which erupted this winter when the proposed trades of Scott Rolen and Jim Edwards were being discussed. Yet, most of us accepted those as inevitable, given the relationships with our manager. As it's turned out, both of those trades have turned out great for the Cardinals.

Archived