Please Retire, Chris Davis

AceKing

I was thinking about this today. How Chris's image would improve if he retired with a buyout agreement favorable to both parties.  Otherwise the general feeling of most people is he is stealing money from the Orioles who have made him a multi-millionaire. Hopefully his wife can get through to him and suggest at the end of the season he retire. I know this is unlikely with Scott Boras as his agent. Maybe Chris can explain to him his frustration with the game and his declining batting skills have caused him to make this decision.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

How much guaranteed money is he leaving on the table?

Andrew Luck was dealing with chronic pain.  Chris Davis is injured and Luck is leaving zero guaranteed money on the table. NFL contracts are not guaranteed.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

How much guaranteed money is he leaving on the table?

Not 100% guarantees in the NFL but his base salary this year would have been $9m and he would have gotten that even if he had to stay on IR all year.  He was to get $11m in each of the next two years but of course he could have been cut with some sort of injury settlement or for non performance so those years weren't fully guaranteed.  But if he played to even an adequate level this year there would be no way they'd cut him next year.  Also have to give back some of his signing bonus, or at least Indy could ask him to.

So I think it's safe to say he left at least an 8 figure amount on the table that he could have bad.  Exactly how much is hard to say.  Let's super rough it as something vaguely between $10m and $25m.  He has already warned $97m in his career 

14 minutes ago, section18 said:

I was thinking about this today. How Chris's image would improve if he retired with a buyout agreement favorable to both parties.  Otherwise the general feeling of most people is he is stealing money from the Orioles who have made him a multi-millionaire. Hopefully his wife can get through to him and suggest at the end of the season he retire. I know this is unlikely with Scott Boras as his agent. Maybe Chris can explain to him his frustration with the game and his declining batting skills have caused him to make this decision.

Wives are famously sympathetic to husbands walking away from millions of guaranteed dollars.  Remember also that Boras is entitled to a percentage of the entire negotiated contract whether Davis fulfills it or not.  I think it’s worthwhile to keep in mind that there is a lot of pressure for Davis to stick it out as well.  

2 hours ago, weams said:

Andrew Luck retired. Why can't Chris?

Because unlike Andrew Luck, Chris Davis has been healthy.  He just sucks at being a major league level baseball player.  When this happens, normally the team has to eat the rest of contract.   Davis' situation is unprecedented however, because he has three more years and his level of play is borderline embarrassing.  I think there is a some chance of a buyout that is heavily favored towards Davis, but I wouldn't count it.   It would happen this offseason or he will be DFA'd/released by the All-Star break next year, at the absolute latest.  

3 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Because unlike Andrew Luck, Chris Davis has been healthy.  He just sucks at being a major league level baseball player.  When this happens, normally the team has to eat the rest of contract.   Davis' situation is unprecedented however, because he has three more years and his level of play is borderline embarrassing.  I think there is a some chance of a buyout that is heavily favored towards Davis, but I wouldn't count it.   It would happen this offseason or he will be DFA'd/released by the All-Star break next year, at the absolute latest.  

Sorry, just can't restrain the editor in me responding, "borderline? What borderline? Even Mario Mendoza is nowhere in sight!" ;)

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wasn't he being booed by those fans the other night?

For being injured.

CHRIS. If you or any of your people are reading. If you retire. The Orioles fans will not boo you. Heck they hardly boo you hitting .169.