Sig Mejdal indicts the public advanced defensive metrics (except Statcast)

Frobby

Running through the heat maps, the difference I primarily see is that Martin is often a step or two closer than several of the other SSs on non-shift plays, but basically were the other SSs are on shifts.  That, I doubt, would explain such an atrocious number if he was plus out there.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, jsbearr said:

Running through the heat maps, the difference I primarily see is that Martin is often a step or two closer than several of the other SSs on non-shift plays, but basically were the other SSs are on shifts.  That, I doubt, would explain such an atrocious number if he was plus out there.

Where can these heat maps be found?

As a Statcast podcast listener, I've heard Petriello say a couple times the infield stuff was in development.  I've never heard a specific target date for rollout though.  It seems like the basic outfield framework will translate to the infield, though with shorter distances and fractions of seconds on the dirt, as opposed to the 40-yard dash type skillsets that are needed for the hardest plays on the grass.

An infielder's 4 yards in 0.4 seconds to make a play will probably rate 5-Star just like an outfielder's 40 yards in 4 seconds for Range, but Arm (and Hands especially), I'm really curious to see what they come up with.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

According to Bruce Willis, Die Hard is not a Christmas movie, it's a Bruce Willis movie.

“I was married to Bruce for the first three ‘Die Hard’ movies, which makes sense because the last two sucked.” She also joked that their 12-year marriage provided “some of the best times of my life” and lauded Willis as “easily one of my top three husbands.”

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2019 at 3:49 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

You keep saying this, and that implies that current defensive metrics consistently say ridiculous things.  They don't.  There are some outliers, but by and large they say the players you think are good are good, and the ones you think are bad are bad.  When you dismiss all defensive metrics I think you should qualify that with something like "they're hooey because like 3% of the time I kind of disagree with their conclusions."  And also that subjective observations are at least as bad, and probably much worse most of the time.

Yeah watch Mancini and see he is a butcher out there look at defensive metrics and they match.  See Machado is great at third and bad at short stop and the metrics match.  

Not sure if I read this when first posted, but the defensive stats mentioned by Mejdal include the following:

infielders:

where the ball was hit, where the infielder was standing, the time the infielder had to get to the ball, the time it took to accelerate, the time to get to the ball, the time to exchange the ball, the time to release it, the time it took the ball to get to first base

Information on State cast leaderboards: catcher framing, outfielder jump, catch probability, 

Statcast OF Info: outfielder jump, reactions in burst, route efficiency

One starts to get the idea that all functions (skills) involved in a play are measured and yield averages and peak results.

All great and very interesting stuff.

As I mentioned last summer, when I spoke to an Aberdeen pitcher during a rainout, the report given to the pitcher the day after pitching has 16 stats on every pitch thrown.

I have every confidence that our front office is building a state of the art analytics department and that it will help close the gap with a good portion of the rest of the league evaluates and trains players.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1