Orioles and Matusz "Closing in on Deal"

bej6789

Would he receive a Spring Training invite?
Yeah almost certainly.

But, he won't have any shot of making the team, regardless of performance.

I think about July is the earliest we could hope to see Matusz, and even then is a stretch. My guess is a cup of coffee in September, then a shot to make the team out of ST in 2010.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He has thrown a ball last when? So no spring training per se for him, just throw him into games. Send him to the Spring Training complex in Florida to get him ready for the AFL or the Hawaiian League.

2 and a half months. Don't pitchers come back from being away that long with a few rehab assignments? Just have him pitch a few innings in a few minor league games. And then some more in the majors. And give him a real rest in the offseason. I don't think that's risking injury any more than having him pitch in the offseason.

I don't think that's risking injury any more than having him pitch in the offseason.
I disagree with that statement as much as anybody on this board would disagree with the following statement:

Old#5Fan's opinions are always well-research, well-thought out, expressed clearly, and hold up to the most rigorous of scutiny.

Take it slow with Matusz, bringing him up now would be reckless, IMO.

2 and a half months. Don't pitchers come back from being away that long with a few rehab assignments? Just have him pitch a few innings in a few minor league games. And then some more in the majors. And give him a real rest in the offseason. I don't think that's risking injury any more than having him pitch in the offseason.

I'd rather have him throw in the AFL or the Hawaiian League to get ready for the 2009 season, than make a few starts in Bowie.

I'd rather have him throw in the AFL or the Hawaiian League to get ready for the 2009 season, than make a few starts in Bowie.

I absolutely agree - what is the rush to see what he can do this year?

We are in this for the long term, not to entertain the fans with new toys. :)

I disagree with that statement as much as anybody on this board would disagree with the following statement:

Old#5Fan's opinions are always well-research, well-thought out, expressed clearly, and hold up to the most rigorous of scutiny.

Take it slow with Matusz, bringing him up now would be reckless, IMO.

I guess I'll chalk this up to the fact that most great new ideas are initially treated with derision.

Or perhaps I'm being a bit obtuse. Nah, couldn't be.

Keep in mind that Adam Loewen's MLB contract was done when he was a high school pitcher. That is way different than Matusz, who is much more polished through a couple years of college ball and would likely come to the majors much sooner anyway. I don't think the club or the Orioles fans should be turned off by the thought of another 1st round pitcher being given an MLB contract, because the circumstances are waaay different.

One source says terms have been agreed upon though Jordan denies it...

Looks to be a 3.1 million dollar bonus with a ML contract...

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080814&content_id=3307420&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

The O's can make the argument that Weiters was a one time trip off the reservation, prior to Weiters the O's were pretty well known for sticking to slot in the 1st round.

However, the O's can only make that argument once, after that it won't fly. One time is an irregularity, two or three is a pattern. As a team that is looking to build through the draft and player development, the O's can't afford to overpay this year. Fortunately I think AM knows this and he'll stick to his guns. My prediction is that Matusz gets a 2.75-3.00m ML deal.

So close..... All back patting aside, good to hear that this is going to get done. Get him signed, back in shape and then send him to the AFL.

I would guess he would go to extended ST to get acclimated with the pro environment then go to Bowie late for the playoff push. That would get him into a clutch situation after getting his arm back into shape.

Depending on how many innings he gets in, the AFL might be a good spot for him. A lot of this is dependent on how his arm feels and how many inning he put in during the college season and what the development program the O's have for him.

Keep in mind that Adam Loewen's MLB contract was done when he was a high school pitcher. That is way different than Matusz, who is much more polished through a couple years of college ball and would likely come to the majors much sooner anyway. I don't think the club or the Orioles fans should be turned off by the thought of another 1st round pitcher being given an MLB contract, because the circumstances are waaay different.

Actually Loewen came from a Junior College, but I agree that Matusz is more advanced than Loewen was.

Actually Loewen came from a Junior College, but I agree that Matusz is more advanced than Loewen was.
Loewen was drafted out of HS, then played a year at JuCo instead of going to a fulltime college so that we could negotiate with him and so he could re-enter the draft the next year.

Archived