Posey signs with SF; Crow signs with Indy league

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This shouldn't matter much. If negotiations are close, then they're close. And if this spreads them apart again, let Matusz walk.

He can enjoy the independent league, and hope he doesn't get hurt. Or fall in stock due to next year's deeper draft.

As if there weren't enough reasons for a Nats fan to hurt. And another argument for a rational and standard relationship between slot and signing bonuses.

This looks like posturing by Crow to me. He could easily renig on that Indy league contract if he signs.

This shouldn't matter much. If negotiations are close, then they're close. And if this spreads them apart again, let Matusz walk.

He can enjoy the independent league, and hope he doesn't get hurt. Or fall in stock due to next year's deeper draft.

Well said. I expect BM to sign, I'm going to guess that they heard that he was going to sign in the Indies and decided to drop his waiting to see what Crow would do mission. That or a striking coincidence that the day the O's and BM are said to be really close is the day Crow signs with an independent league. How harsh is it that his agent said he and Bowden "don't have anything to discuss anymore" wow.

I agree with Jim. If Matusz changes his position now, then his camp will be seen as negotiating in bad faith and I would expect the Os to let him walk.

This looks like posturing by Crow to me. He could easily renig on that Indy league contract if he signs.

True but his agent publicly saying that Bowden told him there was no reason to talk anymore, and that Crow will never sign for slot, period, doesn't exactly encourage Bowden toward a compromise.

An other wrinkle an next year's already deep draft if he doesn't sign.

Well said. I expect BM to sign, I'm going to guess that they heard that he was going to sign in the Indies and decided to drop his waiting to see what Crow would do mission. That or a striking coincidence that the day the O's and BM are said to be really close is the day Crow signs with an independent league. How harsh is it that his agent said he and Bowden "don't have anything to discuss anymore" wow.

Lol, BM.. :o

True but his agent publicly saying that Bowden told him there was no reason to talk anymore, and that Crow will never sign for slot, period, doesn't exactly encourage Bowden toward a compromise.

An other wrinkle an next year's already deep draft if he doesn't sign.

To be eligible for the draft, the following apply. Note the bold part, where it states that... 'He never signed a major or minor league contract.'

From Wiki

* He is a resident of the United States, Canada, or a U.S. territory such as Puerto Rico. Players from other countries are not subject to the draft, and can be signed by any team.

* He has never before been signed a major or minor league contract.

* High school players are eligible only after graduation, and if they have not attended college.

* Players at four-year colleges are eligible after completing their junior years, or after their twenty-first birthdays. The exception to this is Division III schools, where players can be drafted before their junior year.

* Junior and community college players are eligible to be drafted at any time.

I'm not saying that he doesn't have to go into next years draft, it's just one of the things that rarely has been tested.

To be eligible for the draft, the following apply. Note the bold part, where it states that he never signed a minor league contract.

well since the Cats don't count as a minor league contract then it doesn't affect his eligibility for next year's draft. By MLB rules he re-enters the draft next year.

To be eligible for the draft, the following apply. Note the bold part, where it states that he never signed a minor league contract.

From Wiki

I'm not saying that he doesn't have to go into next years draft, it's just one of the things that rarely has been tested.

Guess it's good for him that the Indy leagues aren't considered minor leagues because they don't belong to the MiL association. Luke H. signed with the same Ft. Worth team that Crow just signed with, played in like 3 games, and then went back into the draft to go no. 1 overall the next year. Scherzer in ARZ did the same thing, but signed with ARZ at the deadline and didn't actually play in Ft. Worth.

As if there weren't enough reasons for a Nats fan to hurt. And another argument for a rational and standard relationship between slot and signing bonuses.

None of that matters if the teams don't retain the rights to the players they draft like they do in the NBA or NFL. I don't know how they do it in Hockey.

Archived