Austin Hays called up

Luke-OH

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Both Wilkerson and Mullins have to get to that ball as well.  I'm not at all sure that either of them can make the complete play.

Very true. It sure is nice to have a legit CF again. 

Now we just need a legit, LF, SS, 3B, SP1, SP2, SP4, RP1, RP2, RP3, RP4, RP5, and catcher.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I don’t think it was the best catch of the year and not even in the top ten, but the statcast start ratings are based purely off of ground covered and time in the air, catches at a wall or around some other ballpark feature have an additional level of difficulty.

Yeah, I can't think off the top of my head but I know I've seen better catches this year.  

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Per Baseball Savant, there have been 89 5-star catches made this year, and Hays’ wasn’t one of them.   I mean, it was a terrific catch, but I think if I looked I’d find some better ones.    But catches above the wall are always fun.   

11 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I don’t think it was the best catch of the year and not even in the top ten, but the statcast start ratings are based purely off of ground covered and time in the air, catches at a wall or around some other ballpark feature have an additional level of difficulty.

This. ^^^^

When I see "stats" like that one from baseball savant, I remember that just because someone makes a statistic, doesn't mean the statistic is as meaningful as it's portrayed. If there are only 5 stars, that was a 5 star catch.

Mauer had an 8 year period where he averaged over 5.0 WAR including two seasons where he played in only 82 and 109 games.  A career .388 obp mostly as a C.  The all-star thing has less relevance to me given how many times Minnesota gets to send multiple players.  He was the best catcher in the game for a decade IMO. Definite HOFer.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Hays is really fun. He's definitely one of the players that may make next season more fun than this season, regardless of wins. 

Anyone think he looks a little like Matthew McConaughey?

I see he’s chewing gum, but he hasn’t mastered the art of blowing bubbles while he’s running.

26 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Luke makes an incredibly valid and important point when judging this catch against what statcast says.  Hays may or may not have shown elite reaction time, speed and/or route running on this play, but the catch itself appears to have been made 1-2 feet above the wall and 1-2 feet behind the wall.  Even if a well-above average defensive CF gets to the wall sooner, that CF might not be tall enough to meet the ball at the right point in its downward trajectory as Hays did - or the CF might (or might not) be able to make that catch holding himself up at the top of the wall.  

7 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Luke makes an incredibly valid and important point when judging this catch against what statcast says.  Hays may or may not have shown elite reaction time, speed and/or route running on this play, but the catch itself appears to have been made 1-2 feet above the wall and 1-2 feet behind the wall.  Even if a well-above average defensive CF gets to the wall sooner, that CF might not be tall enough to meet the ball at the right point in its downward trajectory as Hays did - or the CF might (or might not) be able to make that catch holding himself up at the top of the wall.  

These are all valid points.    But I’d say of catches at the wall made by Orioles players over the years, that one would rank no higher than 5th for me, and possibly not in the top 10.     My top 4 go to Mike Devereaux, Adam Jones, Corey Patterson and Tim Raines Jr.   The ones by Kenny Lofton, Jackie Bradley Jr., and Mike Trout against us also were probably equally good or better.    And that’s just catches by or against the Orioles.   So it’s hard for me to see Hays’ as the best this year.

For anyone who forgot, here’s a link to the catch Bradley made against us this year.   Do you think Hays’ was better?

21 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

If the wall was 50' farther back, Hays would have made a routine catch. Maybe 3 star. Their metric doesn't seem to adjust for that pesky physical barrier.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

These are all valid points.    But I’d say of catches at the wall made by Orioles players over the years, that one would rank no higher than 5th for me, and possibly not in the top 10.     My top 4 go to Mike Devereaux, Adam Jones, Corey Patterson and Tim Raines Jr.   The ones by Kenny Lofton, Jackie Bradley Jr., and Mike Trout against us also were probably equally good or better.    And that’s just catches by or against the Orioles.   So it’s hard for me to see Hays’ as the best this year.

Remember this Devon White catch against the Orioles?