More Developmental Personnel let Go

weams

I'm glad to see that a number of current staff were not only retained, but in some cases promoted.  I'm not a fan of firing good people just to bring in someone new.  This shows that Elias really was open to evaluating the incumbents and only making changes where he really believed there was an opportunity for improvement.

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I'm glad to see that a number of current staff were not only retained, but in some cases promoted.  I'm not a fan of firing good people just to bring in someone new.  This shows that Elias really was open to evaluating the incumbents and only making changes where he really believed there was an opportunity for improvement.

I also think we need to keep in mind, Elias has a different system then most teams, and bringing in people who understand and support his concept is key to his plan succeeding.

If you look back at other GM hires, most of these guys bring in their people anyway.

which is why most of these coaches are only on year to year deals.

While the Orioles continue to make outside hires for various departments, they’re also likely to do some shuffling of personnel in the minors.

Nothing is official, but I’ve heard from various people that Single-A Delmarva manager Kyle Moore could join high Single-A Frederick as Ryan Minor’s replacement. Minor league infield coordinator Dave Anderson would be given the managing job with the Shorebirds under this scenario.

Delmarva development coach Pat Leyland, son of former major league manager Jim Leyland, might manage one of the Dominican Summer League teams.

Triple-A Norfolk hitting coach Butch Davis has been offered a role on Double-A Bowie’s coaching staff.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/09/nunez-hoping-hand-heals-and-hes-available-tonight.html

“Norfolk pitching coach Mike Griffin could replace Scott McGregor as pitching rehabilitation coordinator down in Sarasota, Fla. McGregor had the job for the past eight seasons and is going to remain in the organization in an alumni/community relations/guest instructor capacity.

“Griffin has been in the organization for 12 consecutive seasons, the last 11 as Norfolk pitching coach.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/09/notes-on-cobb-givens-harvey-rotation-and-minors.html

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“Norfolk pitching coach Mike Griffin could replace Scott McGregor as pitching rehabilitation coordinator down in Sarasota, Fla. McGregor had the job for the past eight seasons and is going to remain in the organization in an alumni/community relations/guest instructor capacity.

“Griffin has been in the organization for 12 consecutive seasons, the last 11 as Norfolk pitching coach.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/09/notes-on-cobb-givens-harvey-rotation-and-minors.html

This seems like a significant demotion for Griffin. Does he accept? Or is this a golden parachute situation where he can ease into retirement by hanging out in Florida, not travel, but keep working with the kids?

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can't imagine him just letting them dissipate into thin air.

If you don't use them you have to trade them to a team that is interested in spending on international players.

I’m sure he hopes to spend them.   Hopefully he’ll find talent that he likes well enough to do so.    I’m just pointing out that saying you’re not going to trade your slots is only a step in the right direction if they’re spent.   If they’re not, you would have been better off trading them.   

6 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

This seems like a significant demotion for Griffin. Does he accept? Or is this a golden parachute situation where he can ease into retirement by hanging out in Florida, not travel, but keep working with the kids?

I was a huge Griffin supporter for years, but I’d certainly understand if the organization wants to make a change there.    

2 hours ago, WalkWithElias said:

If he is 62 and they move him to Florida,  is that really a demotion?