2019-2020 Free Agency

backwardsk

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Schoop not even in the top 50, which goes all the way down to an FA projected to make $3 mm this year.    It would surprise me a bit if he didn’t get a contract exceeding that.   

I am still finding the deal he made to sell off a portion of his future earnings to be very interesting.

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I am still finding the deal he made to sell off a portion of his future earnings to be very interesting.

Looks like the investors may have a losing proposition on their hands.   As I recall, $49 mm in career earnings is the break even point.    

On 11/6/2019 at 8:16 AM, Redskins Rick said:

I recall some thinking Schoop while a nice guy, just didnt have it to play at the MLB level.

Clearly, they were wrong, he just didnt have it for a super long career.

He’s still playing, and I think he’s got a few more years in him.    But making $49 mm now looks remote.  He’s made about $21 mm to date.   

32 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

yes he does, but his skills are declining and he wasnt the most skilled player on the roster.

You never know about career paths.   Schoop wasn’t awful last year by any stretch — 1.6 rWAR, 1.3 fWAR.    Fangraphs seems to think someone will want him and pay in the 1/$7 mm or 2/$14 mm range.   We’ll see about that, but I expect he’ll be on a major league roster somewhere.    His big problem this year was that Luis Arraez came up and hit .334/.399/.439, so Schoop understandably started losing playing time.   

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You never know about career paths.   Schoop wasn’t awful last year by any stretch — 1.6 rWAR, 1.3 fWAR.    Fangraphs seems to think someone will want him and pay in the 1/$7 mm or 2/$14 mm range.   We’ll see about that, but I expect he’ll be on a major league roster somewhere.    His big problem this year was that Luis Arraez came up and hit .334/.399/.439, so Schoop understandably started losing playing time.   

True, not awful, but a step down from his 2017 season, and throw in 2016 too.

Has he peaked and this is new baseline norm?

Maybe / Maybe not, time will tell.

I would take him on a 1 year deal, but long term and price range, would be a concern.