Roch: Elias Returns From GM Meetings

weams

23 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I see adding 5.  Mountcastle, Akin. Kremer,  Sedlock and Fenter.   I now think that McKenna will not be added but will be signed to a minor league contract and exposed to the draft.  Kyle Moore's comments on Fenter having 3 plus pitches makes me think he will be protected.

The “easy” decisions Elias referred to are Mountcastle, Akin and Kremer.    McKenna, Sedlock and Fenter are the tough calls.    

They’re at 35 now, and let’s assume for argument they want to keep Mountcastle, Akin and Kremer for 38.    Let’s also assume they want to be at 38 for the Rule 5 draft.    That means to keep the other three they’d have to jettison 3 others.   Seems like there’s plenty of candidates to come off if they want to keep all 3.

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The “easy” decisions Elias referred to are Mountcastle, Akin and Kremer.    McKenna, Sedlock and Fenter are the tough calls.    

They’re at 35 now, and let’s assume for argument they want to keep Mountcastle, Akin and Kremer for 38.    Let’s also assume they want to be at 38 for the Rule 5 draft.    That means to keep the other three they’d have to jettison 3 others.   Seems like there’s plenty of candidates to come off if they want to keep all 3.

I'll Play.  Villar. Richard Bleier,  Cole Sulser.  

Some other minor leaguers the Orioles might be interested in.

Gosuke Katoh, New York Yankees

Katoh was a second-round pick who made it to Triple-A this year, and he hit 11 home runs in a half-season there. Considering his ability to play second base, shortstop and third base, he could be a prime breakout candidate who can get a better opportunity with the Orioles than anywhere else.

Wendell Rijo, New York Yankees

Rijo has bounced around a bit in his career, but just hit a career-high 13 home runs in his age-23 season. That he only plays second and third is a bit of a downer, but Rijo is plenty young and would likely relish the chance to play in the bigs.

Christian Lopes, Texas

Lopes played 54 games at Triple-A Nashville last year and started at least 10 games at shortstop, second base, left field and right field. That, combined with respectable numbers (.263 with a .769 OPS and 23 home runs in 1,120 plate appearances in Triple-A), make him a possible fit for a utility role with the Orioles and valuable depth at Norfolk if not.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-minor-league-free-agent-infieldesr-20191114-3j26ucqntvhoxkuxqhnepkytda-story.html

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, weams said:

I'll Play.  Villar. Richard Bleier,  Cole Sulser.  

You could be right but I don't see it that way.   I don't see Villar non tendered.  I believe Elias can trade him even if the return is not real big.   I would think the return will be young prospects.   The O's need Bleier to help stability the pen.  I think he will bounce back in 2020 to he pre 2019 form.     Sulser looks intriguing  and should compete for a bullpen spot this spring.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I'll play as well. Hanhold, Villar (trade), and Smith Jr. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'll play as well. Hanhold, Villar (trade), and Smith Jr. 

A trade this week?   With Stewart out to begin the season and Mountcastle probably beginning the season in AAA, Smith seems likely to stay at least until one of the two are with the O's on 26 man roster.

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

A trade this week?   With Stewart out to begin the season and Mountcastle probably beginning the season in AAA, Smith seems likely to stay at least until one of the two are with the O's on 26 man roster.

That’s ridiculously short term thinking.   We’re not making roster decisions based on who will be available the first 2-4 weeks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

That’s ridiculously short term thinking.   We’re not making roster decisions based on who will be available the first 2-4 weeks.

Also, unless teams make some surprising decisions, some of the best Rule 5 candidates this year will be OFs. So I think OF depth can be had cheaply. 

As far as a trade this week, teams absolutely are going to make a number of trades before the deadline to protect. Yankees for example need to make multiple deals or risk losing quality prospects (not just quality for the R5 but quality in general). 

10 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Also, unless teams make some surprising decisions, some of the best Rule 5 candidates this year will be OFs. So I think OF depth can be had cheaply. 

As far as a trade this week, teams absolutely are going to make a number of trades before the deadline to protect. Yankees for example need to make multiple deals or risk losing quality prospects (not just quality for the R5 but quality in general). 

Looking only at pitchers, I count 6 guys that are Rule 5 eligible with the Yankees that seem worth looking into. 

I'm only looking at stats and haven't seen any throw but it's worth checking on Miguel Yajure, Daniel Alvarez, Trevor Lane, James Reeves, Brooks Kriske and Nick Nelson. I'd agree. I think there's one or more trade coming from them this week. 

And the Astros have more exposure than that.

22 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

BTW, there were 6 MLB trades completed between 11/17-11/20 last year. 

Nov 17th  2018

The Houston Astros traded Trent Thornton to the Toronto Blue Jays for Aledmys Diaz.

Nov 19th

The Cleveland Indians traded Gionti Turner (minors) to the Tampa Bay Rays for Chih-Wei Hu.

The New York Yankees traded Dom Thompson-Williams (minors), Justus Sheffield and Erik Swanson to the Seattle Mariners for James Paxton.

Nov 20th

The Boston Red Sox traded Esteban Quiroz (minors) to the San Diego Padres for Colten Brewer.

The Cleveland Indians traded Ignacio Feliz (minors) to the San Diego Padres for Walker Lockett.

The Chicago Cubs traded Jason Vosler (minors) to the San Diego Padres for Rowan Wick.

The Miami Marlins traded Brian Schales (minors) to the Minnesota Twins for Nick Anderson.

The Pittsburgh Pirates traded Tanner Anderson to the Oakland Athletics for a player to be named later. The Oakland Athletics sent Wilkin Ramos (minors) (December 1, 2018) to the Pittsburgh Pirates to complete the trade.

Its a lot easier to trade pitching and/or prospects than a 2B  one year from FA projected to make between 8m and 11m next season.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Nov 17th  2018

The Houston Astros traded Trent Thornton to the Toronto Blue Jays for Aledmys Diaz.

Nov 19th

The Cleveland Indians traded Gionti Turner (minors) to the Tampa Bay Rays for Chih-Wei Hu.

The New York Yankees traded Dom Thompson-Williams (minors), Justus Sheffield and Erik Swanson to the Seattle Mariners for James Paxton.

Nov 20th

The Boston Red Sox traded Esteban Quiroz (minors) to the San Diego Padres for Colten Brewer.

The Cleveland Indians traded Ignacio Feliz (minors) to the San Diego Padres for Walker Lockett.

The Chicago Cubs traded Jason Vosler (minors) to the San Diego Padres for Rowan Wick.

The Miami Marlins traded Brian Schales (minors) to the Minnesota Twins for Nick Anderson.

The Pittsburgh Pirates traded Tanner Anderson to the Oakland Athletics for a player to be named later. The Oakland Athletics sent Wilkin Ramos (minors) (December 1, 2018) to the Pittsburgh Pirates to complete the trade.

Its a lot easier to trade pitching and/or prospects than a 2B  one year from FA projected to make between 8m and 11m next season.

Well, actually for Frobby's mental exercise, he wouldn't need to be traded until the Rule 5 Draft. Also, one year commitments are easier to trade than multi-year commitments (not worth as much, but simpler deals). 

15 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Well, actually for Frobby's mental exercise, he wouldn't need to be traded until the Rule 5 Draft. Also, one year commitments are easier to trade than multi-year commitments (not worth as much, but simpler deals). 

So then you are agreeing at it is unlikely that Villar will be trade by Nov 21st?

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think you have to protect those 3 guys.  What are you going to do, keep some below replacement older guy over a prospect?