BRob is on the HOF Ballot

Frobby

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I agree completely.    But why should the Yankees have a monopoly on this for now?   12 people voted against Chipper Jones two years ago, and he was a significantly better player than Jeter.     They can start with the unanimous voting some other time.   (PS - admittedly, there’s nobody coming up in 2021 who deserves to be unanimous.)

Jeter couldn't hold Ripken's jock, but he'll stay pass Cal in votes.  With Rivera in, being the second unanimous selection doesn't have nearly the cachet as being the first.

PS - I'll go a step further and say there are no first ballot players in 2021 that should be inducted at all.  Buehrle and Hudson have the highest career WAR of that list.  Add in Torii Hunter and those three may get in down the line, but not in 2021.

PSS - Roberts is one and done on the ballot

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Jeter couldn't hold Ripken's jock, but he'll stay pass Cal in votes.  With Rivera in, being the second unanimous selection doesn't have nearly the cachet as being the first.

PS - I'll go a step further and say there are no first ballot players in 2021 that should be inducted at all.  Buehrle and Hudson have the highest career WAR of that list.  Add in Torii Hunter and those three may get in down the line, but not in 2021.

PSS - Roberts is one and done on the ballot

He'll get a higher percentage but not more votes.  Ripken was named on 537 of 545 ballots.  Riveria received 425/425.  The culling of older voters is what made a unanimous choice possible.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He'll get a higher percentage but not more votes.  Ripken was named on 537 of 545 ballots.  Riveria received 425/425.  The culling of older voters is what made a unanimous choice possible.

Agree.  Maybe it's a separate discussion for the MLB forum, but when, if ever, will the changes to the voters loosen their opposition to the steroids cheaters?  Bonds and Clemens are still below 60% after 7 years on the ballot.   Their time with the BBWAA is running short.  

0039.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Agree.  Maybe it's a separate discussion for the MLB forum, but when, if ever, will the changes to the voters loosen their opposition to the steroids cheaters?  Bonds and Clemens are still below 60% after 7 years on the ballot.   Their time with the BBWAA is running short.  

0039.gif&f=1&nofb=1

If they are looking at an empty class in 2021...

We've seen guys get a pretty large bump their last couple years on the ballot.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If they are looking at an empty class in 2021...

We've seen guys get a pretty large bump their last couple years on the ballot.

The BBWAA will still have some players backlogged that year; it's what they do.  Yeah, I'm pulling us further from the OP by asking - how long with players like Curt Schilling remain on the outside?  It becomes the what-about game.  Well, if Mussina gets in, then "what about" Schilling?   Without straying into politics, we know that there are things besides the numbers that go into the voting games.  Or is there another reason why Eddie Murray, of the 500/3,000 club, "only" received 85.3% of the vote besides his less than favorable reputation amongst the writers?  So short story, long, I don't think there will be an empty 2021 class.  It just won't (shouldn't) have any first ballots.

There are also the Era (formerly called Veterans') committees that may add to the list.  2021 is Golden Days (1950-69) and Early Baseball (Before '50).  2010 had 1 from the BBWAA, 2 in 2011, 1 in 2012, and 0 in 2013 so an empty class wouldn't be unprecedented.

35 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

The BBWAA will still have some players backlogged that year; it's what they do.  Yeah, I'm pulling us further from the OP by asking - how long with players like Curt Schilling remain on the outside?  It becomes the what-about game.  Well, if Mussina gets in, then "what about" Schilling?   Without straying into politics, we know that there are things besides the numbers that go into the voting games.  Or is there another reason why Eddie Murray, of the 500/3,000 club, "only" received 85.3% of the vote besides his less than favorable reputation amongst the writers?  So short story, long, I don't think there will be an empty 2021 class.  It just won't (shouldn't) have any first ballots.

There are also the Era (formerly called Veterans') committees that may add to the list.  2021 is Golden Days (1950-69) and Early Baseball (Before '50).  2010 had 1 from the BBWAA, 2 in 2011, 1 in 2012, and 0 in 2013 so an empty class wouldn't be unprecedented.

An empty class wouldn't be unprecedented but it would be unwelcome.  I think the small classes from 2011-2013 spurred on the changes to the voting body.

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

An empty class wouldn't be unprecedented but it would be unwelcome.  I think the small classes from 2011-2013 spurred on the changes to the voting body.

Better that than inducting people for the sake of putting on a show.  The Orioles Hall of Fame already does that. ?

2022 is headlined by ARod (not unless Bonds gets in first) and local "favorites" Big Papi and Teixeira.   I may be buying extra Pepto-Bismol that year myself.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, SouthernBird said:

I liked the guy, but he is not HOF material. Watched his whole career. Ain’t seeing it.

As I understand it, there are limited objective criteria you have to meet to be on the ballot (parts of 10 years in MLB and out 5 years).    Once you meet those, there’s a committee that recommends who goes on, but it’s largely a rubber stamp.    BRob is certainly in the top half of those being added to the ballot, but of course he’s no HOFer.    As I said, it’s just cool for him to be on there at all; not many get there.