All 30 Teams non-tendered players

Philip

28 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

What PR nightmare?  No one cares about the O's except us.  And, if it works out, it could be a PR blessing if both right the ship and are solid teammates and community members

This is a joke, right? You think the national media just, what, wouldn't notice if the O's signed Russell and/or Heimlich?

The O's got some national media backlash just for trading Jonathan Villar. I can't even imagine how much backlash they'd get for signing one of those two guys, much less both.

• Upvote 1

On 12/6/2019 at 3:28 PM, PaulFolk said:

This is a joke, right? You think the national media just, what, wouldn't notice if the O's signed Russell and/or Heimlich?

The O's got some national media backlash just for trading Jonathan Villar. I can't even imagine how much backlash they'd get for signing one of those two guys, much less both.

And the media has moved on to the next thing.  Has the baseball world not forgot about the Villar move yet? Seems so. 

If they signed these guys, there would be a couple days of coverage on MLB Network and ESPN, and by the time the season started, no one would even talk about it.  Maybe these players use the opportunity to really prove their character and give back to the community.  We are a judgemental world, but the reality is that "no one knows what the reality really is."  Heimlich made it through college without any crazy stories about assaulting anyone at Oregon State. How long does someone have to wait for a second chance?  Should we just bring out the guillotine?  

What's it really matter if we sign them?  There is potential for real added talent on the cheap, and if the O's sign them, it would be potential low risk (financially) high reward for a system that really needs to add talent on the cheap.  And if they don't perform, they are probably gone within the year.  It's not like the Orioles will be kicked out of the league if they offer these guys a contract.

There is potential for positive coverage as well if it works.  People can turn their lives around and do well by others.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, 7Mo said:

Michael Vick is still hoping people will move on and forget.

The ascendance of Lamar Jackson seems to have cleansed the sins of Michael Vick. He's making the rounds on most major sports networks providing commentary these days.

16 hours ago, 7Mo said:

Michael Vick is still hoping people will move on and forget.

He also went on to play 7 more seasons for 3 different teams.  None of those teams were kicked out of the league for taking a chance on him.  He is the ProBowl Captain for this year as well.  Again, people change, and most people move on. 

2 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

He also went on to play 7 more seasons for 3 different teams.  None of those teams were kicked out of the league for taking a chance on him.  He is the ProBowl Captain for this year as well.  Again, people change, and most people move on. 

Thousands sign petition seeking removal of Vick...

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/u-s-world/thousands-sign-petitions-demanding-nfl-remove-former-qb-michael-vick-as-pro-bowl-captain/

I'm not the moral police. I understand people change, grow, deserve second chances. I'm all in favor of that. But I think it ignores today's climate to think there wouldn't be significant negative attention. 

7 hours ago, 7Mo said:

Thousands sign petition seeking removal of Vick...

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/u-s-world/thousands-sign-petitions-demanding-nfl-remove-former-qb-michael-vick-as-pro-bowl-captain/

I'm not the moral police. I understand people change, grow, deserve second chances. I'm all in favor of that. But I think it ignores today's climate to think there wouldn't be significant negative attention. 

Its a given that there would be a petition bc some people don't let things go, but the fact he was even picked to be the captain shows how much the league and his peers think of him how.  Back to the original point though; we take this chance and Russell could break out and Heimlich becomes one of our Top 10 prospects, it would be a great jolt for our already deep system, especially if Russell then becomes a legitimate trade candidate.

3 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Its a given that there would be a petition bc some people don't let things go, but the fact he was even picked to be the captain shows how much the league and his peers think of him how.  Back to the original point though; we take this chance and Russell could break out and Heimlich becomes one of our Top 10 prospects, it would be a great jolt for our already deep system, especially if Russell then becomes a legitimate trade candidate.

I don't agree but that doesn't mean I'm right. You may be correct. I think you value Russell as a player more highly than I do. 

There's a limit to how many new guys we can bring in. Those wouldn't be my choices. I understand you disagree. 

On 12/7/2019 at 3:12 PM, ScGO's said:

And the media has moved on to the next thing.  Has the baseball world not forgot about the Villar move yet? Seems so. 

If they signed these guys, there would be a couple days of coverage on MLB Network and ESPN, and by the time the season started, no one would even talk about it.  Maybe these players use the opportunity to really prove their character and give back to the community.  We are a judgemental world, but the reality is that "no one knows what the reality really is."  Heimlich made it through college without any crazy stories about assaulting anyone at Oregon State. How long does someone have to wait for a second chance?  Should we just bring out the guillotine?  

What's it really matter if we sign them?  There is potential for real added talent on the cheap, and if the O's sign them, it would be potential low risk (financially) high reward for a system that really needs to add talent on the cheap.  And if they don't perform, they are probably gone within the year.  It's not like the Orioles will be kicked out of the league if they offer these guys a contract.

There is potential for positive coverage as well if it works.  People can turn their lives around and do well by others.

People were still trashing Robert Osuna/Astro's in the WS for that whole thing years ago..

Comparing it to trading Villar is apples to cabbage. Now, should we actually care? Maybe not. That stuff wont away with the news cycle like you think. Will get brought back up anytime Russell does anything.

We are talking about someone who has over 2000 PAs of rather crappy hitting. Primary value in his glove that makes him MLB starter worthy. Not someone who is really really good and people might turn a blind eye towards those skeletons. 

On 12/7/2019 at 4:12 PM, ScGO's said:

This is absolutely not true. People would talk about it every time they took the field. Those guys' off-the-field actions will continue to follow them for as long as their careers last, even if you believe that shouldn't be the case. 

May

10 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

This is absolutely not true. People would talk about it every time they took the field. Those guys' off-the-field actions will continue to follow them for as long as their careers last, even if you believe that shouldn't be the case. 

Maybe.  Ray Lewis recovered, Kobe Bryant recovered, Michael Vick Recovered, hell even Bill Clinton recovered.  If these guys can become positive community members then that negative media attention can be spun into positive media attention every time.