Per Capita Team Attendance

AZRon

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree with you, I’m just saying that driving long distances to go to games may be more common in some areas than others. I have no evidence to back that up other than a statement made to me by my law school roommate from Kansas 40 years ago who told me that in the Midwest people thought nothing of driving 50 miles for things nobody on the coasts would go ten miles for.   

I don't disagree at all.  It's all about the traffic and stress and convienence.  If you can get to a Royals game at 75 mph on the interstate you'd think little of it taking an hour.  If you're 20 miles from OPACY but it takes you 60 minutes in traffic you might stay home.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't disagree at all.  It's all about the traffic and stress and convienence.  If you can get to a Royals game at 75 mph on the interstate you'd think little of it taking an hour.  If you're 20 miles from OPACY but it takes you 60 minutes in traffic you might stay home.

Tell me about it!   I’m 40 miles from Baltimore and if I leave work at 5 pm I might just get there by 7 pm game time.

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

By the way, this map from Seat Geek is interesting.    It breaks the US into counties and then shows which team “owns” the majority of online ticket sales in that county.    https://www.google.com/amp/s/seatgeek.com/tba/articles/where-do-mlb-fans-live-mapping-baseball-fandom-across-the-u-s/amp/

I think Milwaukee’s per capita performance is really impressive when you consider this map.   Basically, only people from Wisconsin go to Brewers games, and the fans in the northwest part of the state are more likely to go to a Twins game.    

Seems like just yesterday when Selig and Reinsdorf were conspiring to contract the Twins out of existence. Just a coincidence that they cut into the Brewers’ Wisconsin market. Yep, that’s all... coincidence.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Tell me about it!   I’m 40 miles from Baltimore and if I leave work at 5 pm I might just get there by 7 pm game time.

My house is 91 miles from OPACY, and it takes the first pennant race in 15 years to get me to go to a single weeknight game.  Just to make first pitch I'd have to leave work before 3pm, and I wouldn't get home until between midnight and 1am.  If it's a Red Sox game it would be more like 2:00.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Scalious said:

Brewers rise to popularity is all Mark Attanasio and his aggressive marketing. You can go anywhere in the state and find some partnership with brewers promotion. Some that lead to tickets.

Most of the things to do in Wisconsin are outdoors and require driving.  You are going to bored off your butt if you rely on entertaining yourself with things that are within walking distance or a cheap cap ride unless you live in downtown Madison. Which is way more expensive then just living on the outskirts and paying for gas.

I live in the Madison area and driving to a brewers game is a pretty common thing. Even if you are not much of a baseball fan, because it's about the atmosphere.

How important is the dome stadium? You can plan to go to games early on in the season and have no fear of sitting out in bad weather. That has to be a bonus.  

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

My house is 91 miles from OPACY, and it takes the first pennant race in 15 years to get me to go to a single weeknight game.  Just to make first pitch I'd have to leave work before 3pm, and I wouldn't get home until between midnight and 1am.  If it's a Red Sox game it would be more like 2:00.

I’ve said this before as well. Until the late 90’s  games started at 7:30, not 7pm. I get why they do it and this year some games will be 6:30 but that said it doesn’t help fans living the DC area and beyond.  

14 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I’ve said this before as well. Until the late 90’s  games started at 7:30, not 7pm. I get why they do it and this year some games will be 6:30 but that said it doesn’t help fans living the DC area and beyond.  

It doesn't help us get there for the first inning, but it helps us get home early enough to get a few hours sleep before work.  My normal bedtime is 10:00 and my alarm goes off at 5:30.  Going to bed at 1:15 after watching the O's lose to the Red Sox is a painful prospect.

1 hour ago, AZRon said:

Added a column to the chart displaying season's attendance as a % of stadium capacity for the 2019 season.

See opening post

By this measure, the Orioles bested only Miami in 2019.

In terms of seating capacity, the smallest is Tropicana at 25,025 and Dodger is the largest at 56,000.

Of course, the capacity of Tropicana has been purposefully shrunk to fit their meager attendance.   It seated 45,000+ when it opened.