The Astros and Red Sox Punishments

weams

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The reality is that the end of the baseball careers for those men will have a very minimal impact on the franchise. It needed to be harsher for the franchise (not the individuals). 

The loss of those picks is enormously damaging to the health of a franchise. 

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

I know, imagine where the Orioles would have been if they hadn't taken Brandon Snyder, Garrett Olson, Billy Rowell, and Pedro Beato with their first two picks in 2005 and 2006!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Here is a hypothetical Buck.

Do or die playoff game on the road, extra innings.  You can throw either the reliever having literally the best season ever had by a reliever or an up and down starting pitcher who hasn't been able to hold onto a spot in your rotation.

Who do you pitch?

Ooh ooh and what if your opponent is a homer happy squad, the starter is prone to gopher balls and the reliever extremely is not?

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I know, imagine where the Orioles would have been if they hadn't taken Brandon Snyder, Garrett Olson, Billy Rowell, and Pedro Beato with their first two picks in 2005 and 2006!

I guess interloper should have said “the health of a competent franchise.”

I think the various elements of the punishment, taken together, are a fair penalty.    

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I still think it's a ridiculous escalation over prior penalties. 

I haven’t studied prior penalties, but sometimes you just need to set a new standard and not worry about what was done in the past.    The point is to deter future conduct.    

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I haven’t studied prior penalties, but sometimes you just need to set a new standard and not worry about what was done in the past.    The point is to deter future conduct.    

That's not how I would go about things.  You punish in accordance to precedence and then you establish new guidelines.

This would be akin to a pitcher getting caught using resin and bullfrog to get a better grip and getting a 50 game suspension when Matusz got eight.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's not how I would go about things.  You punish in accordance to precedence and then you establish new guidelines.

This would be akin to a pitcher getting caught using resin and bullfrog to get a better grip and getting a 50 game suspension when Matusz got eight.

Like I said, I haven’t studied past precedent.   What has happened previously that you consider comparable, and what were the punishments?