The Astros and Red Sox Punishments

weams

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

Can't help but wonder how many people in MLB and MLBPA knew it was going on and said nothing.

Well all of the MLBPA. Players on teams are part of a much greater community. Their union. I suspect that the League only knew so much. 

3 minutes ago, weams said:

I would bet that neither of those teams wish to escalate any of this. I bet Fiers has an issue getting a future contract. 

It will be interesting to see if it does escalate. I don't think it will happen either, but it could be interesting to see if any of them will try and drag down other teams with them. Fiers I think won't have an issue because it would be insanely obvious as to why he's not getting a contract. He'd get $ in suing the league, something Kapernick did and got a ton of compensation for. 

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Other teams are doing it is not an excuse.  Baseball will stop with these two teams unless anyone does something going forward.  If I rob a bank mentioning to the judge that other people robbed banks and got away with it is not going to help my cause either before or after receiving punishment.

I'm not saying it's to excuse their behavior. I'm saying is that if they can prove other teams were cheating as well, does MLB pivot and go after other clubs for sign stealing?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, the following is against the rules

a

b

c

They will be punished in the following ways

d

e

f.

Steroids, international cheating, this issue.  Baseball is big on come up with penalties after the sheep have left their pens.

There are certainly some rules that could be written, but every rule has a loop hole or a work around. You can write them for today, but it's hard to keep up with innovative cheaters.

Just now, LookinUp said:

There are certainly some rules that could be written, but every rule has a loop hole or a work around. You can write them for today, but it's hard to keep up with innovative cheaters.

Sure, but you can at least try, and a framework is better than making stuff up as you go along.

Question, if it was the Yankees or the Dodgers do you think the penalty would have been as severe?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, but you can at least try, and a framework is better than making stuff up as you go along.

Question, if it was the Yankees or the Dodgers do you think the penalty would have been as severe?

Yes, and I think we're about to find out with the Red Sox.

9 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

True. My main question that I probably worded poorly was what if Houston and Boston have dirt on other teams and can prove they used tech as well to steal signs and potentially other nefarious things

You have to think if they do have dirt they gave it to MLB during the interview process.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And if the Astros had kept Fiers he never would have had an attack of conscience.

Well that is true. Supposedly it was not conscience. Supposedly he told enough to teammates that it got back to the Athletic. And so it goes

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I am not sure what you are arguing about.  The Astros got off lightly .  I know you love to argue but your argument makes no sense.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yankees did it. Evidently Dodgers just continue to be victims.