The Astros and Red Sox Punishments

weams

1 minute ago, MDtransplant757 said:

My thing is with all this is what happens next? Will there be a league wide investigation because the Astros and presumably boston are going to be saying "Other teams are doing it?" How can they prove that and how will major league baseball respond if it's a league wide issue? 

This shows what happens if cheating occurs in the future. If I am an innovator and find some advantage to use technology... I run it by league offices first. 

Just now, weams said:

This shows what happens if cheating occurs in the future. If I am an innovator and find some advantage to use technology... I run it by league offices first. 

True. My main question that I probably worded poorly was what if Houston and Boston have dirt on other teams and can prove they used tech as well to steal signs and potentially other nefarious things

Just now, MDtransplant757 said:

True. My main question that I probably worded poorly was what if Houston and Boston have dirt on other teams and can prove they used tech as well to steal signs and potentially other nefarious things

I would bet that neither of those teams wish to escalate any of this. I bet Fiers has an issue getting a future contract. 

This reeks to me of the same sort of overreaction we got with the steroids situation.

Everyone cheats, everyone has cheated since day one.

However once you get to a certain level of proficiency they turn on you.

Steroids in the 80's were find, since guys didn't get too good.  Same with the Astros cheating.

Escalation in penalties of this sort aren't the proper way to do things.  MLB should have had solid guidelines in place decades ago.

30 minutes ago, Philip said:

If he pays well in prospects, why not?

Houston could hire Sig without giving us any compensation. It would be a promotion. Note, I'm just speculating; hoping they don't go there. 

25 minutes ago, Philip said:

No.

He will be under much greater scrutiny, of course, but he’s aware of that and will be treading the straight and narrow path for the foreseeable future.

There’s no warned like forewarned

Elias certainly didn't bring this cheating to the Orioles, unless of course he was giving other teams access to our video replay room so we could tank even better. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

My thing is with all this is what happens next? Will there be a league wide investigation because the Astros and presumably boston are going to be saying "Other teams are doing it?" How can they prove that and how will major league baseball respond if it's a league wide issue? 

Other teams are doing it is not an excuse.  Baseball will stop with these two teams unless anyone does something going forward.  If I rob a bank mentioning to the judge that other people robbed banks and got away with it is not going to help my cause either before or after receiving punishment.