Poll: what do you think of the Astros’ punishment?

Frobby

What do you think of the Astros’ punishment?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the Astros’ punishment?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/20/20 at 20:32

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The players have a union.  Good luck getting the union to agree to punish players that cheated using buzzers but not players who listened for cues.

Also good luck getting the punishments past any sort of unbiased arbiter.

BTW Manfred's job is to make the best moves for the owners, not MLB as a whole.  Never forget that.

But shouldn't the union care about the players who might have got hurt by the cheating? A pitcher who got sent back down after being called up and getting blasted when he pitched against the Astros.Maybe it affected a few pitchers .I know they will never let players be suspended for cheating. 

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

But shouldn't the union care about the players who might have got hurt by the cheating? A pitcher who got sent back down after being called up and getting blasted when he pitched against the Astros.Maybe it affected a few pitchers .I know they will never let players be suspended for cheating. 

You don't even believe your argument.

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The players have a union.  Good luck getting the union to agree to punish players that cheated using buzzers but not players who listened for cues.

Also good luck getting the punishments past any sort of unbiased arbiter.

BTW Manfred's job is to make the best moves for the owners, not MLB as a whole.  Never forget that.

I think they should punish Astros and Red Sox minor leaguers, since they're not part of the union.  Sure, they didn't do anything, but sacrifices must be made.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Going Underground said:

If they used buzzers then players should be banned for a year also. No excuses.

Why?    Buzzers are worse than trash can lids?

Edit — I see this was discussed already.  I don’t think it makes sense to distinguish the two.   I’d be curious, though, as to why some players wore buzzers and some didn’t.     Some were more afraid of getting caught than others, perhaps?

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Because they lied to investigators.  They were given immunity to testify and yet lied.  I think we are pretty certain the Astro's punishment was too light now.

My poll question had to do with punishing the Astros, not the players.    My opinion about the Astros’ punishment hasn’t really changed; I think it’s about right.    But I would like to see the players punished.    

Also, I may have missed something.    Who lied to investigators, and how do we know they lied?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My poll question had to do with punishing the Astros, not the players.    My opinion about the Astros’ punishment hasn’t really changed; I think it’s about right.    But I would like to see the players punished.    

Also, I may have missed something.    Who lied to investigators, and how do we know they lied?

Because MLB said they investigated the buzzer claim and found no evidence of it.  Well the players were given immunity to tell the truth.  If Altuve , Bregman, Reddick et al were using buzzer than they lied to investigators.

I think you are wrong on the punishment as the league seems to be outraged with everything.  Players tweeting about it.  Teams talking off the record as they were threatened with punishment worse than Astros if they talk about it. 

Maybe if the Mike Trout accusations prove to be true this will take some heat off the Astro's and MLB handling of the situation. 

22 minutes ago, atomic said:

Because MLB said they investigated the buzzer claim and found no evidence of it.  Well the players were given immunity to tell the truth.  If Altuve , Bregman, Reddick et al were using buzzer than they lied to investigators.

I think you are wrong on the punishment as the league seems to be outraged with everything.  Players tweeting about it.  Teams talking off the record as they were threatened with punishment worse than Astros if they talk about it. 

Maybe if the Mike Trout accusations prove to be true this will take some heat off the Astro's and MLB handling of the situation. 

There are hundreds of major league players.   If their opinion is divided in the same way as the MLBTR poll, that still leaves hundreds of players that think the Astros got off light, and of those, some are going to be vocal.    The fact that some of them are tweeting about it doesn’t tell me much about what the general population of major league players thinks.    Nor do a few off the record statements by teams.

The poll results here have barely moved over the last 24 hours.    Same with the MLBTR poll (which leans more heavily in the direction of “too light”).     So I don’t think opinion is moving very much regardless of what anyone has tweeted or said in the last day or two.    

I think my big question now is, are the consequences that have now befallen Luhnow, Hinch, Cora and Beltran sufficient to deter teams from trying something like this again?     Because that’s what I mostly care about.    

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There are hundreds of major league players.   If their opinion is divided in the same way as the MLBTR poll, that still leaves hundreds of players that think the Astros got off light, and of those, some are going to be vocal.    The fact that some of them are tweeting about it doesn’t tell me much about what the general population of major league players thinks.    Nor do a few off the record statements by teams.

The poll results here have barely moved over the last 24 hours.    Same with the MLBTR poll (which leans more heavily in the direction of “too light”).     So I don’t think opinion is moving very much regardless of what anyone has tweeted or said in the last day or two.    

I think my big question now is, are the consequences that have now befallen Luhnow, Hinch, Cora and Beltran sufficient to deter teams from trying something like this again?     Because that’s what I mostly care about.    

This poll is a very small subset of the population of America.  If you want to poll people and get any kind of result that has any merit you would have to contact people across the country randomly.   This poll and the one on MLB are pretty much irrelevant.  All that it proves is you didn't take advanced Science classes in College. 

Also, I am sure the results would be quite different if the Astro's had knocked the Orioles out in AL Championship series.  People on here are generally have man crush on the whole Astro's organization for some reason.  

There is a lot of people more upset than before the punishment was handed down. It is all over the news, social media, reddit and anger seems universal.   MLB is not controlling the narrative and it seems to have gotten out of hand.  Even Reddick's wife is tweeting about his "Necklace" and "Confetti".  

8 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_NBA_betting_scandal

At least as a player I'd agree.  Fouls are so ambiguous/inconsistent the above did not surprise me when it broke.

Interesting that he only got a sentence of 15 months. The guy who broke in the Astro's database got a lot more than that.   Seems his crime was much worse.

10 minutes ago, atomic said:

Interesting that he only got a sentence of 15 months. The guy who broke in the Astro's database got a lot more than that.   Seems his crime was much worse.

How sentencing works is well beyond my understanding.  I'm sure deals/pleas for info is part of it, but I agree it doesn't match.

Even with player suspensions across sports regarding domestic abuse vs drugs vs on-field/off-field conduct...  It doesn't really flow sometimes.