Ok... Who SHOULD be in?

Philip

Every year at announcement time there’s always a flurry of discussion about guys who should be in but who are not.

because there’s still three weeks before Pitchers/Catchers, I thought it would be pleasant to palaver about the “Almost” guys.

someone has already mentioned Bobby Grich.....ummmmno.

It is difficult to separate “he was great” from “I really liked him a lot.”

In the latter category, I reluctantly place Buddy Bell, who had the third or fourth all time highest 3B dWAR, who played near 20 years, had lots of GGs and All Star games and had -in ‘79, I think-the odd achievement of getting 200 hits without hitting .300( he hit .299)

Not a single vote...sheesh.

I’m not sure he deserves to be in, but I am sure I would’ve voted for him. A couple other guys who should be in in my humble opinion, and who definitely should have gotten votes:

Dave Parker( ‘79 all star game. Look it up)

Julio Franco. He’s in his 50s and probably still playing somewhere and getting hits. An amazing hitter.

who do you think should have at least gotten votes?

• Upvote 1

Two who should not be in: Bonds and Clemens: Never.  Their statistics are inflated due to steroids and letting cheaters in is not a good message. Manny Ramirez too. 

There are too many players in the Hall who don't deserve to be there based on their accomplishments.  Standards have been lowered in certain cases. . Gary Carter for example.  I'd consider Schilling and Fred Lynn but I'd have to look at their lifetime stats first.

Rivera should not have been the first unanimous choice when so many other great players were not unanimous.  Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Frank Robinson, they were far more valuable than a closer.  Also Rivera blew. a couple of post seasons series for the Yankees.  By the same token I'm glad Jeter was not unanimous and I give credit to the writer who kept that from happening. 

Edited by Maverick Hiker
  • Thanks 1

I’m a “small Hall” guy, so there’s probably nobody who didn’t make the Hall who I’d put in.    But there’s probably 25+ guys I’d kick out.   

I struggle a bit with the gamblers and the known PED users, some of whom clearly deserve the HOF if you ignore that stuff.   

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m a “small Hall” guy, so there’s probably nobody who didn’t make the Hall who I’d put in.    But there’s probably 25+ guys I’d kick out.   

I struggle a bit with the gamblers and the known PED users, some of whom clearly deserve the HOF if you ignore that stuff.   

Yeah there’s a lot of guys I’d like to kick out, and then replace with greats who aren’t in due to writers trying to impose punishments the Commissioner wasn’t strong enough to impose. 

1 minute ago, Chuck A said:

As much as I hated Dave Parker in '79, i would've loved to see him playing in black and orange.  Probably a HOF'er over many that have gotten in.  But there are so many that just don't deserve to be in (Harold Baines anyone?).

Yeah Baines is one of the most egregious choices I can recall. 

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d remove folks. Yes. 

I would get rid of the Veterans Committee process and the only person, maybe, maybe I think sometimes should be in that isn’t is Dale Murphy.  Certainly over Harold Baines and Alan Trammel.   But I would remove a number of individuals.   Or just have the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown for the ultra and build another Hall of the Pretty Good over in Elmira. 

Grich and Lou Whitaker aren't just borderline cases — they're both well above the threshold for 2b.

Dewey Evans should've gone in instead of teammate Jim Rice. 

Dick Allen is more of a borderline case — shy on traditional counting stat milestones and brutal on defense but still managing to put up 156 OPS+ and 58.7 career WAR over a 14 year career. If he hadn't been hung with a 'clubhouse cancer' tag, he'd probably get more love.

3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I would get rid of the Veterans Committee process and the only person, maybe, maybe I think sometimes should be in that isn’t is Dale Murphy.  Certainly over Harold Baines and Alan Trammel.   But I would remove a number of individuals.   Or just have the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown for the ultra and build another Hall of the Pretty Good over in Elmira. 

If Trammell isn't a yes for you, then Jeter shouldn't be either. That's a pretty high bar. We're going to be kicking a lot of guys out.