It happens every spring

Frobby

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

After a long, gloomy winter in which I have exuded realism about the Orioles’ near term future, spring training has arrived and I am growing more optimistic daily based on the incessantly positive remarks coming from Brandon Hyde, Doug Brocail and a litany of players.    Lord it makes me happy!    The hell with realism, there will be plenty of time for that later!

But how many people have said someone is in the best shape of their life?

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

After a long, gloomy winter in which I have exuded realism about the Orioles’ near term future, spring training has arrived and I am growing more optimistic daily based on the incessantly positive remarks coming from Brandon Hyde, Doug Brocail and a litany of players.    Lord it makes me happy!    The hell with realism, there will be plenty of time for that later!

Well yeah if Means can repeat his year from last year, Cobb can come back and Akin can make a smooth transition to major league pitcher and and.  Oh on second thought were screwed.

• Downvote 1

I think this Spring Training is objectively more exciting than last year's. More prospects who are closer this year and of course Adley. Also this feels like make or break for Davis. Might not end up being true but it's always going to be interesting to see how low he can get. Can't wait for the first televised game.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Optimism is cowardice.

Oswald Spengler

That’s a very interesting quote, and it’s not necessarily incorrect, but who wants to live in the bitterness That exists without any optimism? “There is no ‘bright side’”

Who would want to live like that? So I would tell Oswald that I doubt he is a hit at parties.

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

That’s a very interesting quote, and it’s not necessarily incorrect, but who wants to live in the bitterness That exists without any optimism? “There is no ‘bright side’”

Who would want to live like that? So I would tell Oswald that I doubt he is a hit at parties.

I think it's actually apocryphal.

But anybody who wants to understand the world today should read Spengler's "The Decline of the West."

But Os related, I hate to see a man be crushed, and from my perspective, anyone with optimism about this upcoming year, is going to be crushed.

But I confess, I am not much fun at parties either.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

It Happens Every Spring was a great movie. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure whether I've posted some version of this before, but what the heck, it's a new season . . .

My favorite baseball song, by a pretty wide margin, is Tom Paxton's "My Favorite Spring." For me, it captures, and sucks you into, the game's cycle of hope and heartbreak gradually and subtly, without slipping into maudlin sentimentality.

Second place goes to "A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request," by Steve Goodman (who also gave us "Go, Cubs, Go!"). I think recent seasons of Oriole wretchedness have made me identify more with the long-time Cubs fans I've known.

Goodman died of leukemia in 1984, at age 36, four days before the Cubs clinched their first division title and first post-season appearance season since 1945. He was invited to sing the Star-Spangled Banner before the opener, but Jimmy Buffett had to fill in. 

• Upvote 2