Are we witnessing a change in Elias' thinking?

wildcard

The whole idea of Means, Wojo and Cobb being a stable, proven starter rotation is absurd in my view.   I could very easily see a scenario where all  three are either not pitching due to injury or have regressed and get hammered regularly a la the later versions of Ubaldo or Tillman.    I believe this starting group of pitchers is the perhaps the least proven, least stable group of Oriole pitchers I have ever seen at this stage of a season. 

29 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

The whole idea of Means, Wojo and Cobb being a stable, proven starter rotation is absurd in my view.   I could very easily see a scenario where all  three are either not pitching due to injury or have regressed and get hammered regularly a la the later versions of Ubaldo or Tillman.    I believe this starting group of pitchers is the perhaps the least proven, least stable group of Oriole pitchers I have ever seen at this stage of a season. 

My OP says that Means, Cobb and Wojo gives the O's  some starting stability.   I stand by that statement.   Its not perfect.  Its not as good as other teams.  But it is some starting stability.  Every pitcher is one pitch away for the IL.  That is as true today has it has been for the last 20 years.

• Upvote 1

For the Orioles, starting stability really means stability though the month of June when trade speculation will begin.  If Cobb, Malone or LeBlanc start strong through June, one or more of them could be traded especially if the AAA rotation is knocking at the door.  Stability also means that the Orioles have been fortunate that the injury bug has not hit their pitching staff in a serious way as it has for many other clubs.   

Some teams are starting out with part of their starting rotation on the inujured list or on a suspension and don't expect the full rotation to be available until June.  Even if the Orioles starting 5 are not top line pitchers, it is unclear if what the Orioles have are much worse than what many teams have to fill in their starting rotation until starting pitchers that they expect to rely on rejoin the roster.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

My OP says that Means, Cobb and Wojo gives the O's  some starting stability.   I stand by that statement.   Its not perfect.  Its not as good as other teams.  But it is some starting stability.  Every pitcher is one pitch away for the IL.  That is as true today has it has been for the last 20 years.

Find me an Orioles starting rotation in the last 30 years that is as unstable as this one is right now.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Find me an Orioles starting rotation in the last 30 years that is as unstable as this one is right now.  

I would say 2018 was just as bad on paper. Bundy with Cobb coming off a bad year plus replacement guys. Now it's Means with Cobb coming off injury plus replacement guys. 

I would throw out 2001 and 2008 as worse. 

6 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I would say 2018 was just as bad on paper. Bundy with Cobb coming off a bad year plus replacement guys. Now it's Means with Cobb coming off injury plus replacement guys. 

I would throw out 2001 and 2008 as worse. 

2018 in spring at this point had Bundy, Cashner, Gausman, Cobb...no comparison... worse this year..

2008 had Jeremy Guthrie, Cabrera, Garrett  Olson, Brian Burres, Steve Trachsel, Radhames Liz....bad...but we are in worse shape currently, imho. 

2001 Jason Johnson, Pat Hentgen, Sidney Ponson, Josh Towers, Jose Mercedes...again, definitely bad, but the current situation is worse, imho. 

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

2018 in spring at this point had Bundy, Cashner, Gausman, Cobb...no comparison... worse this year..

2008 had Jeremy Guthrie, Cabrera, Garrett  Olson, Brian Burres, Steve Trachsel, Radhames Liz....bad...but we are in worse shape currently, imho. 

2001 Jason Johnson, Pat Hentgen, Sidney Ponson, Josh Towers, Jose Mercedes...again, definitely bad, but the current situation is worse, imho. 

Sorry, I meant 2019. 

16 hours ago, wildcard said:

I am not arguing with that.  All I am saying is the the top three provide some stability.

How so? Means is a one hit wonder. Cobb is not healthy or proven healthy. Wojo is a journeyman AAAA starter who I really enjoy. 

8 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Even then we had Bundy, Cobb and Cashner...and Means and Wojo...we are worse off...

Both Cobb and Cashner were coming off poor seasons. Hurts to lose Bundy but he was coming off a pretty terrible season too. Means 2019 put up more WAR than Bundy, Cobb, and Cashner combined in 2018. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this rotation is good by any means.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Both Cobb and Cashner were coming off poor seasons. Hurts to lose Bundy but he was coming off a pretty terrible season too. Means 2019 put up more WAR than Bundy, Cobb, and Cashner combined in 2018. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this rotation is good by any means.

Bundy has certainly disappointed in regard to the lofty expectations many had for him - but he was just about average for a starting pitcher last season. His absence will be felt.