When Will the 2020 MLB Season Begin? (Poll)

24fps

Start of the 2020 Season  

149 members have voted

1. 1. When will the 2020 season begin?

• Sometime in April
    • Sometime in May
    • Sometime in June
    • Sometime in July
    • No 2020 Season at All

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/20 at 04:59

Im guessing no 2020. There is an ebola drug that is said to be working well on the ill patients but they want to ramp it up to a larger scale before they go anywhere else with it. But I think Corona can be dealt with using medication but maybe no vaccine. 

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

It's taken China about 4 months with draconian measures to get the epidemic to subside. Given the US's poor initial response probably longer than that. July at the earliest.

It hasnt left China, its just waiting for everyone to come back outside. I've read they are getting antsy to get their economic engine back up again, but they know all it will do is spread the virus. Im not sure what the answer is for them until some effective drugs come out. 

12 hours ago, jabba72 said:

It hasnt left China, its just waiting for everyone to come back outside. I've read they are getting antsy to get their economic engine back up again, but they know all it will do is spread the virus. Im not sure what the answer is for them until some effective drugs come out. 

They say a lot of people who recover have permanent lung damage.   Can't walk without getting out of breath.   Good reason to stay inside until treatment comes.

33 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

They usually fear the virus will mutate into hardier more resistant strain. 

It could mutate and reinfect someone who already had it. That's one fear. I don't know that we know if it will be better or worse than a previous version. 

The biggest questions still at large is: is this a herd immunity virus (like chicken pox or some strains of the flu)? And is it seasonal? If it's a herd immunity thing, that would be excellent news. We just don't know yet. 

Dr. Fauci, the NIH official who has consistently had good, intelligent information on this thing, ventures a guess of 8 weeks for how long the disruptions to daily life could last.   (But if you read his quote he has a lot of caveats about how hard it is to predict, etc).

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/487425-top-health-official-fauci-coronavirus-crisis-could-last-8-weeks

45 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Dr. Fauci, the NIH official who has consistently had good, intelligent information on this thing, ventures a guess of 8 weeks for how long the disruptions to daily life could last.   (But if you read his quote he has a lot of caveats about how hard it is to predict, etc).

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/487425-top-health-official-fauci-coronavirus-crisis-could-last-8-weeks

All we have to do is look at China to see what will happen in 8 weeks time. They're still quarantining, without much hope for it ending. 

26 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Does anyone think that they will pick at date, let's say June 1, and try to create a new schedule that might do things like drop inter league games, only one series home or away for East vs West coast games? Or just stick with the current schedule.

That would make some sense.   But I think it's way premature.   Seeing when they can start and then choosing a date are the first steps.

I believe in 1981 they did not alter the schedule after the strike, they just played what was left of the schedule from August on.

26 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Does anyone think that they will pick at date, let's say June 1, and try to create a new schedule that might do things like drop inter league games, only one series home or away for East vs West coast games? Or just stick with the current schedule.

I'd hope that they're getting schedules together for various start dates, such as a schedule if it had to start April 15th, a different schedule if it had to start April 30th, May 15th, etc.  

Pretty sure we're not gonna have a season at this point.  

59 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd hope that they're getting schedules together for various start dates, such as a schedule if it had to start April 15th, a different schedule if it had to start April 30th, May 15th, etc.  

Pretty sure we're not gonna have a season at this point.  

I think they'll take it a couple of weeks at a time as you imply in your first sentence.  I would be surprised if they called off the entire season before August 1st.  They - meaning the owners - will be looking to mitigate the economic impact to whatever degree they can and because of the length of the season, I don't see any downside to them taking their time.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Premier league finally shuts down. I guess with all the players and coaches becoming infected.  England's plan is for everyone to get infected as soon as possible and then deal with the results. 

The NHS is largely staffed by Eastern Europeans   Ironic