When Will the 2020 MLB Season Begin? (Poll)

24fps

Start of the 2020 Season  

149 members have voted

1. 1. When will the 2020 season begin?

• Sometime in April
    • Sometime in May
    • Sometime in June
    • Sometime in July
    • No 2020 Season at All

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/20 at 04:59

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And, more importantly for me, type O makes you less susceptible.  Based of course off some preliminary data out of Wuhan.

I wonder why that would be.  I am type O as well.  Pretty common blood type actually.  

4 hours ago, atomic said:

Federal Government just created a report that said that this is going to last 18 months and to expect shortages. It was marked "Not for Public Release"  but someone gave it to the NY times.  No baseball probably next year either.  Baseball players might need to do something different for a living.  

Back to rattling your saber I see...

• Downvote 1

What the 2020 MLB season could look like once (if?) it gets going.  From ESPN:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28923254/what-2020-mlb-season-look-once-gets-going

Schedule density will be a key consideration in any post-shutdown structure that MLB comes up with. How many games, on average, can a team realistically play per day, and for how long? What kind of rosters would they need? Thirty players? Forty? It's unclear how to answer those questions. Such things would be a matter of negotiation between MLB and the players' union, and they would involve discussing relevant issues including the duration of a second spring training, roster size, travel days and more. And -- once again -- a lot would depend on when teams can get back on the field and how much time will have passed since baseball suspended operations.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

If the initial expects are july into august. Then it would only make sense to just scrap the season and start fresh in 2021.

Maybe even play a month of exhibition like games for free for everybody, and no playoffs, or anything, no stats, just totally for fun and for the public.

Yes,play in each city that is safe. Donate what you can. Money goes to workers of all types. People will really be hurting from many areas. Orioles really need to start refunding money for people who bought single game tickets and perhaps ask people who bought a season plan if they need the money and let them scrap their season ticket plan this year. Millions of people will need money without an income.. 

Just now, Going Underground said:

Yes,play in each city that is safe. Donate what you can. Money goes to workers of all types. People will really be hurting from many areas. Orioles really need to start refunding money for people who bought single game tickets and perhaps ask people who bought a season plan if they need the money and let them scrap their season ticket plan this year. Millions of people will need money without an income.. 

I do appreciate each MLB giving 1 mill to a fund that is supposed to pay out of work stadium workers.

42 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

CNN insider claims this will be around for 18 months,

Leave it to the trolls to stir the pot.

It really saddens me that people spend so much time trying to spread the hysteria.

WTF are you talking about.  You guys were saying I was overreacting when I said the season would be postponed or played without fans.  Now Restaurants, Gyms, Schools, Bars, Stores, are all closed and who knows when they will open.  Everything I said was a vast under-reaction.  Repeating what the federal government and experts are saying is not spreading hysteria.   If you have a problem with the government statement send a letter to the Federal Government and I am sure they will respond to you promptly. 

27 minutes ago, atomic said:

WTF are you talking about.  You guys were saying I was overreacting when I said the season would be postponed or played without fans.  Now Restaurants, Gyms, Schools, Bars, Stores, are all closed and who knows when they will open.  Everything I said was a vast under-reaction.  Repeating what the federal government and experts are saying is not spreading hysteria.   If you have a problem with the government statement send a letter to the Federal Government and I am sure they will respond to you promptly. 

Malls, too, at 5pm today. 

China reported its first day with no NEW cases today.

One would think the US has to reach that point and then 2-3 weeks after it.  That of course requires extensive testing that the US still doesnt have up and running.

Last week CT had 4 cases.  Yesterday they crossed 50, so I dont know how soon we will reach that point.

9 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

One would think the US has to reach that point and then 2-3 weeks after it.  That of course requires extensive testing that the US still doesnt have up and running.

Last week CT had 4 cases.  Yesterday they crossed 50, so I dont know how soon we will reach that point.

I believe some feel China has not been forthright and timely in their reporting.

24 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

The number of cases will likely explode as testing is expanded, plus, there will be new cases. Given how slow we have been to test, it could be 6-8 weeks before we have anything approaching a realistic picture of what's going on. Right now, with only the worst cases being tested, no one knows how bad it is. 

In Vo, Italy they tested everyone, isolated all who tested positive, and then tested them again two weeks later. When they did the retests they found six people who were still positive and yet never had any symptoms. By isolating all the carriers they quickly ended the epidemic in their town. But, as we so often say in baseball, it was a SSS - small town.

5 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

The number of cases will likely explode as testing is expanded, plus, there will be new cases. Given how slow we have been to test, it could be 6-8 weeks before we have anything approaching a realistic picture of what's going on. Right now, with only the worst cases being tested, no one knows how bad it is. 

In Vo, Italy they tested everyone, isolated all who tested positive, and then tested them again two weeks later. When they did the retests they found six people who were still positive and yet never had any symptoms. By isolating all the carriers they quickly ended the epidemic in their town. But, as we so often say in baseball, it was a SSS - small town.

According to this article, Italy is having huge issues with the virus

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/italy-has-world-class-health-system-coronavirus-has-pushed-it-n1162786

Northern Italy has one of the best public health systems in the Western world. Its doctors and medical professionals are well-trained. They felt prepared when the coronavirus began to spread through their prosperous, well-educated region.

And they still could do nothing to prevent what happened.

"I have never seen so many people die together before my eyes," said a nurse from one of the main hospitals in Bergamo, a city in northern Italy that is at the center of the worst outbreak in Europe. "It feels like we are crossing in the middle of a battlefield.

So many variables. 18 months is one of the worst case scenarios. Bill Gates said if we get our act together we could be out of the shutdown in 6 to 10 weeks. But that is with good testing and better containment. Virus could stop for a few months and come back . We shall see but one thing ,the economy will be terrible for at least till September and probably way longer. Also maybe the malaria drug will help.

My friend got this from the Orioles about tickets:

As we work to confirm how the COVID-19 pandemic will affect the MLB season and your membership, we have decided to delay all ticket shipments until further notice. No shipments will be going out this week as previously scheduled. As we learn more, we will send information directly to your inbox and publish on Orioles.com.

Thank you for your patience and support during these trying times. We look forward to when we can all enjoy Orioles baseball back at the Yard!

Sincerely,

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fd2axdqolvqmdvx.cl