Boswell: Ripken on Cheating

weams

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/03/20/no-ballplayer-has-more-integrity-than-cal-ripken-jr-hes-not-too-hard-astros/

Between innings, Ripken said, pitcher and catcher agree that on a certain pitch, the signal will be for a curveball low and away. But pitcher and catcher both know that the pitch will really be a fastball up-and-in. If nobody’s cheating, nobody gets hurt.

“But if you’re striding out to get to a curveball away,” Ripken said, “and you realize at the last instant that it’s a high fastball that’s following you in, and your face is diving right into its path, your life passes before your eyes.

“Not too many guys want to ‘get pitches’ after that.”

To my surprise, Ripken, a baseball purist and hard-nosed but ethical sportsman, took a more lenient, or at least understanding, view of the Houston Astros than I’d have expected. That also applies to the Red Sox, currently under investigation by MLB for Astros-style cheating in 2018 when Boston won the World Series. MLB’s decision on the Red Sox could come at any time.

“This has been going on for a long time, certainly back when I played,” Ripken said.

• Upvote 1

Weeks ago, spring training scuttlebutt had MLB delivering its findings and punishments on the Red Sox within days. But it hasn’t come yet. If MLB releases those conclusions during this pandemic hiatus, that’s not “burying the news” or evading the fallout. It’s just better than the alternative: more cheating scandal just as the sport may resume.

Thanks to Ripken’s perspective, whenever that ugly news arrives, I’ll probably adjust my tone, tamp it down just a knock. An entire organization involved in systematic cheating is still a disgrace, as well as a reminder of all MLB’s integrity shortcomings over the past 40-plus years. I’ll still think the Astros’ 2017 title should be voided. You can’t give it to anybody else, but they can’t keep it. They deserve the constant reminder of a shameful blank space in the record book, not just an invisible mental asterisk in our minds.

Beyond that, however, I’m inclined to let my outrage burn itself out over time, rather than inflame it. Some fans will bring trash cans to Houston games to beat at the Astros, along with countless signs and boos. That’s fine. I confess: I’ll enjoy it.

However, I’m not going to see permanent horns poking through the caps of every player on that 2017 team.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Working as intended by MLB.  By the time the Red Sox punishment gets announced everyone's outraged will have been burn out over time and folks' tones will be tamped down.

I wonder if he is going to advocate for the Red Sox title to be vacated?  I'm guessing he's not.

Nah, it’s the Red Sox.

48 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Nah, it’s the Red Sox.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/03/latest-on-red-sox-sign-stealing-investigation.html

Just what Manfred found and what punishment he has or will mete out isn’t quite clear. The team’s lawyer did acknowledge that the Sox accept some of the underlying factual findings, but left ambiguous what they actually are. “Certainly, we did find on certain occasions in 2017, that this electronic device was used to communicate sign information.”

The Sox’ attorney also made clear the team doesn’t agree (at least in the litigation context) with Manfred’s broader determinations. In particular, the attorney argued, the team is “entitled to disagree that that activity happened at the club level.” That statement certainly could be read to imply that Manfred identified participation in illicit activities that went beyond uniformed personnel.