Boemmel: Pandemic and MiLB

weams

I recently spoke with two players about what they were going through and experiencing due to the suspension of the season.  I choose not to reveal their names so as to not cause them and their families any additional hardship.

• Upvote 4

That’s rough. Earning an average of $8,400 a year, not eligible for unemployment, and this $1 million that each team pledged (or were forced to pledge) to cover stadium workers, etc obviously doesn’t reach any of them. It seems like another million (if that) would probably cover the entire minor league players and MiLB stadium workers too, is that really so much to ask? 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

It seems like another million (if that) would probably cover the entire minor league players and MiLB stadium workers too, is that really so much to ask? 

I don't think so. I guess some of the current negotiations are hampering that though. 

11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

This is definitely something the Orioles and other organizations need to look into and rectify. 

I get the feeling that very few MLB owners make freewheeling decisions without the approval of the herd, but this is one situation where one of them should really step up and announce they're covering their entire organization from top to bottom. If they did that, the others might hate them for it, but they would probably be forced into doing the same. 

Definitely should pay them.  I don't understand a system where some players get paid $40 million a year and these other guys aren't even getting minimum wage. 

Minimum salary in minor leagues should be $30k a year.   If you had 150 players that works out to only $4.5 million.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

I get the feeling that very few MLB owners make freewheeling decisions without the approval of the herd, but this is one situation where one of them should really step up and announce they're covering their entire organization from top to bottom. If they did that, the others might hate them for it, but they would probably be forced into doing the same. 

Agreed, with as much payroll as this team has slashed, I think it would be great to see them step forward and be leaders. i realize many other people are in similar situations right now, but this seems like an area where they can gain a lot of good will, do what's right, and earns some god news for a limited amount of money.

3 hours ago, atomic said:

Definitely should pay them.  I don't understand a system where some players get paid $40 million a year and these other guys aren't even getting minimum wage. 

Minimum salary in minor leagues should be $30k a year.   If you had 150 players that works out to only $4.5 million.   

30K a year for someone in short season ball is pretty ridiculous.  The GCL Orioles played 53 games last year. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

30K a year for someone in short season ball is pretty ridiculous.  The GCL Orioles played 53 games last year. 

They don't have training time?  $30k is not much money. Most of those guys just got signed so you could use their signing bonus if it is their first year to cover the $30k.  I don't see an issue with paying them $30k.  Why is it ridiculous? 3 month season.   

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

They don't have training time?  $30k is not much money. Most of those guys just got signed so you could use their signing bonus if it is their first year to cover the $30k.  I don't see an issue with paying them $30k.  Why is it ridiculous? 3 month season.   

Yea, 18 year olds out of High School don't need to make 30K for three months.  Guys in the GCL don't need to be full time competitive athletes.  How many of their peers are going to be making 30K/yr out of HS? 

I'm in favor of a reasonable floor once you hit full season ball.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, 18 year olds out of High School don't need to make 30K for three months.  Guys in the GCL don't need to be full time competitive athletes.  How many of their peers are going to be making 30K/yr out of HS? 

I'm in favor of a reasonable floor once you hit full season ball.

I’d distinguish between the guys who show up for MiL camp in Feb./March and are assigned to a short season team, and the guys who are drafted in June and get assigned to a short season team.    The former group really are working for 6 full months.    The latter are working 2.5 months at most.   

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d distinguish between the guys who show up for MiL camp in Feb./March and are assigned to a short season team, and the guys who are drafted in June and get assigned to a short season team.    The former group really are working for 6 full months.    The latter are working 2.5 months at most.   

I'd still go full season/short season as a cutoff.  I think a reward should exist for making a full season team.  Not more travel and games for the same money.

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Like I said they could include their signing bonus towards first years salary.  If you have the money to pay Chris Davis 23 million a year you can afford to pay guys in rookie ball 30k a year.  These guys aren’t living at home with their folks when they are playing rookie ball.  

20 minutes ago, atomic said:

Like I said they could include their signing bonus towards first years salary.  If you have the money to pay Chris Davis 23 million a year you can afford to pay guys in rookie ball 30k a year.  These guys aren’t living at home with their folks when they are playing rookie ball.  

Except a lot of them probably are for a good hunk of the season. 

If you are a year two guy, like say Zoellner, and you can't get out of the GCL you don't deserve to make 30K.