Mussina and Palmer

Frobby

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which guys? :laughlol:

To be honest, I think he's not only talking about what OldFan is saying (which I don't agree with, mind you) but also the arrogance of many that are responding to him. I don't agree with OldFan but I don't feel the need to say "ZOMG ur not rly smart, i am" like so many feel obligated to do.

To be honest, I think he's not only talking about what OldFan is saying (which I don't agree with, mind you) but also the arrogance of many that are responding to him. I don't agree with OldFan but I don't feel the need to say "ZOMG ur not rly smart, i am" like so many feel obligated to do.

I agree. Old #5 Fan has been aggressive in defending his position, but he's also been civil for the most part. I think that's gotten lost here.

It took me three weeks on this site to learn to ignore the man.

Granted, its because I'm one of the laziest dudes you'll ever meet (which places me high in the running world wide), but I wish the rest of you would fight your good intentions and do the same.

If someone makes ridiculous statements and no one responds, does it make a sound? I vote no.

It took me three weeks on this site to learn to ignore the man.

Granted, its because I'm one of the laziest dudes you'll ever meet (which places me high in the running world wide), but I wish the rest of you would fight your good intentions and do the same.

If someone makes ridiculous statements and no one responds, does it make a sound? I vote no.

I like old guy around here. He reminds me that there are alot of people out there that don't understand baseball. I go back to my HS days when I had a coach that complained that as a number three hitter I did not hit with enough power. Nevermind that I had a OBP that appraoched 600 every year Nevermind we played on a field that had no fence. Nevermind that I only stuck out 3 times in my whole high school career. The fact has my coach saw them was that I did not hit the ball far enough for a guy my size. He loved a guy that batted around 275 stuck out a third of the time and 3 times a year hit the ball "down the hill and into the woods". Everytime I see old guy get into one of these threads a quetion comes to me. Here it is, did you coach HS baseball in the early 80s in southern Maryland?:scratchchinhmm:;)

Moose has a 9-1 lead through 6 innings in NY. Assuming that holds up, it will be his 268th win, tying Jim Palmer. It also will be his 18th win on the season, leaving him with a shot at the elusive 20-win season (he will have 2 starts left).

If he doesn't win two more games, he's officially a bum. ;)

If he doesn't win two more games, he's officially a bum. ;)

I have supreme confidence if he wins number 19, he will then choke away number 20 like he always does. :)

Mussina is no Jim Palmer. Palmer was Mr. Cy Young, and Mussina is Mr. Almost. Palmer didn't almost do great things, he did them. As John Wayne would say, "its as simple as that."

In case you had any doubt as to whether Mussina would choose to wear a Yankee hat if he was elected to the Hall of Fame:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-spyanks195849110sep19,0,1325769.story

"I love playing here," Mussina said. "I've always loved playing here."

The love was all around him last night. Manager Joe Girardi, acting on a suggestion from pitching coach Dave Eiland, sent Mussina out to face the first batter of the seventh inning so he could walk off to an ovation (that's an old Joe Torre trick). After Brian Anderson doubled, Girardi came out to make a pitching change.

Mussina started to give Girardi the ball, but the manager said, "No, you keep it." Mussina acknowledged the standing ovation of the crowd and his teammates with a long wave of his cap.

"I'm glad they let me go out there and face one guy," said Mussina, who tied Hall of Famer Jim Palmer with his 268th win. "That's the last time I'm going to get to pitch here. It's tough to describe when you're walking off and having the people appreciate what you do. I won the last game I pitched at Yankee Stadium. I just think everybody appreciated what I was able to do and I just wanted to tell them I appreciated them standing up and cheering for me all year."

Frobby, players dont get to choose anymore. I think he'll go in as an Oriole, unless he resigns with NY and gets to 300 wins with them, then he's in no doubt as a yank, however we had him for his best years, although i contantly hear that mussina first yankee contract is one of the few long term contracts pitchers that lived up to the expectations and pay.

With his win tonight, Mussina won his 269th game, passing Jim Palmer on the all-time list. It was also his 19th of the year and he'll have a shot at 20 on the last day of the season.

He also passed Cy Young tonight to move into 19th All-Time in career strikeouts. He has 2804, surpassing CY Young's 2803.

Archived