MLB Implements 60 Game Season

weams

41 minutes ago, murph said:

So freaking irritated that they wasted a month bickering.  They could be STARTING regular season games July 1st.   I'll watch because I love baseball.  But the disrespect to us fans is grotesque.  

No other team sports have started yet. NWSL is to start on Saturday but one team has withdrawn because their team is infected with covid.  Better to start later and not have to shutdown.

• Upvote 1

What about the fears of the players have of COVID 19?  The O's have been one of the smartest teams in the MLB because they closed all their facilities to not take any chances. 40 MLB people tested positive.  Best to be safe than risk playing MLB. I think MLB should not play this year 2020.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

I give em 50/50 to actually finish the season. 

I actually expect the chances of completing the season at 25%. What do they do if a player/coach/staff tests positive? Wouldn't every player have to be quarantined at that point, forfeiting games as a result? 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Obviously players and players with loved ones that are high risk have some legitimate reason for concern but for the most part the actual risk for the players is very low even if they do contract the disease.  As I've said before you have had folks working retail through all of this and they are put at a lot more risk on a daily basis.  How many folks does a cashier at Walmart interact with in a day?

There are precautions that Walmart takes to control a cashier's interaction with customers, including facemasks, a healthy supply of hand sanitizer, plastic shields, etc. A Walmart cashier also doesn't have to hold a runner on first or have a runner sliding into their cash register. 

I just can't see this going the way that they expect. Who knows, I could be wrong, European soccer leagues are in full swing with no fans, and there is all kinds of non-social distancing going on there. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

There are precautions that Walmart takes to control a cashier's interaction with customers, including facemasks, a healthy supply of hand sanitizer, plastic shields, etc. A Walmart cashier also doesn't have to hold a runner on first or have a runner sliding into their cash register. 

I just can't see this going the way that they expect. Who knows, I could be wrong, European soccer leagues are in full swing with no fans, and there is all kinds of non-social distancing going on there. 

You don't think MLB is going to take precautions?  Also the face masks provided protect others from you, they don't protect you from others.  At least down here the pandemic had been going strong for weeks before those plastic shields started showing up.

• Upvote 1

For modified ST, part 2, could the O's use Aberdeen, Bowie and Frederick facilities to spread out the players working on drills before they start simulated games? Is there a plan to test everyone on the 40 man as well as all the coaches and manager? If someone tests positive do they go on the 15 day DL?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't think MLB is going to take precautions?  Also the face masks provided protect others from you, they don't protect you from others.  At least down here the pandemic had been going strong for weeks before those plastic shields started showing up.

I agree with you, MLB will take precautions, but I just wonder if they can cover all the bases (no pun intended). 

3 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I agree with you, MLB will take precautions, but I just wonder if they can cover all the bases (no pun intended). 

They can't reduce the risk to zero but will the risk to the players be any higher playing MLB than it would be if they weren't?  I don't think very many at all are living in a sterile bubble at this point.

35 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

What about the fears of the players have of COVID 19?  The O's have been one of the smartest teams in the MLB because they closed all their facilities to not take any chances. 40 MLB people tested positive.  Best to be safe than risk playing MLB. I think MLB should not play this year 2020.

I hate to agree with this but I agree with this.

”death by inches”is what we have been dealing with and it’s not going to stop.