Y'all Seen the New Stadium in Texas?

Can_of_corn

I still don't buy the argument that the Rangers needed a new ballpark when the The Ballpark in Arlington was 25 years old.  If you're going to make the lack of a retractable roof argument then spare me because the Rangers played over twenty years in a metal scrapheap that was a glorified minor league park.  

As for the stadium, by the looks of it the Rangers better hope the baseball is finger licking, lip smacking good.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

I still don't buy the argument that the Rangers needed a new ballpark when the The Ballpark in Arlington was 25 years old.  If you're going to make the lack of a retractable roof argument then spare me because the Rangers played over twenty years in a metal scrapheap that was a glorified minor league park.  

As for the stadium, by the looks of it the Rangers better hope the baseball is finger licking, lip smacking good.

I had some darned good food across the street before the new park was revealed as a smoker.

On 7/3/2020 at 11:10 AM, Frobby said:

I like those OF dimensions.   Should make for some very wacky bounces and maybe a few gruesome injuries.

I prefer interesting outfield dimensions based on constraints imposed on the architecture like the shape of the lot.  It's pretty artificial when you have 11 weird angles in the outfield fence in a park that looks like a Zeppelin hangar stuck in the middle of 11,000 acres of parking.

Oh, and so much for my idea of bigger parks to encourage contact.  This one looks like another bandbox with short alleys.  Every new park should be at least 350-390-430-390-350.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I prefer interesting outfield dimensions based on constraints imposed on the architecture like the shape of the lot.  It's pretty artificial when you have 11 weird angles in the outfield fence in a park that looks like a Zeppelin hangar stuck in the middle of 11,000 acres of parking.

Oh, and so much for my idea of bigger parks to encourage contact.  This one looks like another bandbox with short alleys.  Every new park should be at least 350-390-430-390-350.

The angles may be artificial, but they’re still fun.    I agree with you that overall I’d like it better if the fences were deeper.   

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just saw this article and was about to post it myself but you beat me to it.  Some pretty cool statistical comparisons with stadiums built after Camden Yards.  I'm still not sure how I feel about this "modern" stadium.  I like the idea of being closer to the field, but it's hard to beat a game at Oriole Park at Camden Yards.  

31 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I just saw this article and was about to post it myself but you beat me to it.  Some pretty cool statistical comparisons with stadiums built after Camden Yards.  I'm still not sure how I feel about this "modern" stadium.  I like the idea of being closer to the field, but it's hard to beat a game at Oriole Park at Camden Yards.  

I think someone could design a nice ballpark that doesn't look like a warehouse, that fits into a city grid, and has a cantilevered design that puts fans closer without obstructing beams.  I'm not at all a fan of parks way out the suburbs surrounded by huge parking lots and entertainment complexes designed to maximize revenues.

I'm guessing we won't see all that many new parks in the near future with almost everyone in a nice place that's been built in the last 30 years, or Fenway/Wrigley which aren't going anywhere.  Although I guess the Rangers/Braves model is to tear down parks built for $750M in taxpayer money 20 years ago and replace with $1B+ parks paid for by taxpayers.