Os announce 60 man roster

Roll Tide

14 hours ago, atomic said:

That is a triple A roster.  Well worse because it  sounds like Mountcastle won't be added to the 60 man roster.  Elias saying it is easy to add to the 60 man roster but hard to take off so they probably won't be adding too many players at this point.  

Luckily there is no all-star game this year because if Means struggled not a whole lot of all-star material on the team. 

I think its a pretty sure bet that Mountcastle will be added to 60 man roster and start the season with the 30 that don't make the active O's roster in either Bowie or Aberdeen.

Fangraphs has a writeup on AL East player pools here:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/analyzing-the-prospect-player-pool-al-east/

One interesting tidbit:

A couple roster mechanics to keep in mind as you read: Teams are allowed a 60-player pool. They don’t have to roster 60 guys from the start; not doing so allows them to scoop up released or DFA’d players without cutting someone. 

Definitely seems like the bolded may be a part of Elias's motivation for not starting with a full 60 ID'd

Also, FG has a part of their site dedicated to tracking the player pools (along with roster resource depth charts):

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/depth-charts/orioles

• Upvote 1

On 6/30/2020 at 3:37 PM, wildcard said:

I think its a pretty sure bet that Mountcastle will be added to 60 man roster and start the season with the 30 that don't make the active O's roster in either Bowie or Aberdeen.

That isn't what it sounds like.  From what Elias said it is easy to put guys on 60 man roster but hard to take them off.  So I suspect if he isn't on it by now he won't be on it.   As he would be a guy who would not be removed. 

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

That isn't what it sounds like.  From what Elias said it is easy to put guys on 60 man roster but hard to take them off.  So I suspect if he isn't on it by now he won't be on it.   As he would be a guy who would not be removed. 

There would be no need to ever remove him.

The "hard to take them off" thing is the rationale for not filling up the 60 man roster right now.   Just putting the guys on who have a shot at the Opening Day roster.   Let those guys work out and prepare for the season.

Once the season starts and 30 of them are no longer practicing at [Bowie or wherever] as they are on the major league team, then you can add a bunch of guys.   Probably won't fill the full 60 to allow wiggle room.   But certainly go to 57 or 58.   And there's absolutely no reason Mountcastle wouldn't be part of that second wave of people added to the roster.   

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, SteveA said:

There would be no need to ever remove him.

The "hard to take them off" thing is the rationale for not filling up the 60 man roster right now.   Just putting the guys on who have a shot at the Opening Day roster.   Let those guys work out and prepare for the season.

Once the season starts and 30 of them are no longer practicing at [Bowie or wherever] as they are on the major league team, then you can add a bunch of guys.   Probably won't fill the full 60 to allow wiggle room.   But certainly go to 57 or 58.   And there's absolutely no reason Mountcastle wouldn't be part of that second wave of people added to the roster.   

Seems to me to be a pretty smart way for a club in the O's position to manage the roster. I really hope that things get to the point where there can be some type of expanded fall league for MiLB players. The fall is really nice weather for baseball until mid-october.

• Upvote 1

On 6/30/2020 at 12:33 PM, atomic said:

That is a triple A roster.  Well worse because it  sounds like Mountcastle won't be added to the 60 man roster.  Elias saying it is easy to add to the 60 man roster but hard to take off so they probably won't be adding too many players at this point.  

Luckily there is no all-star game this year because if Means struggled not a whole lot of all-star material on the team. 

The goal is to finish dead last

6 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I mean, if they win the first game, it would probably the latest in a season they have been over .500 in a while.

Assuming you are referring to the date, they were 71-70 on September 8, 2017. They started last year 4-1.

4 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I mean, if they win the first game, it would probably the latest in a season they have been over .500 in a while.

We lost Opening Day last year, but won the next 4 so we were 4-1.

And before last year we had 8 straight Opening Day wins (the last 3 coming on walkoffs).

The only seasons the Orioles never had a winning record were 1955, 1956, 1988, 1991, 2007, and 2010.