Results of MLB Covid-19 Intake Testing to start camp

SteveA

Interesting.    Maximum of 60 players per team, so that’s less than 1800 of the 3185 people tested who are players.    Yet, they’re over 80% of the ones who tested positive.    Probably pretty representative of the younger people being less vulnerable and therefore less careful about being exposed.    

Meanwhile though, I heard that 1 out of every 4 people being tested in Florida is testing positive right now.    So 1.2% (or call it more like 2% among the players) sounds pretty darned good compared to what’s going on in some places.    

Glad they’re testing.   

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Interesting.    Maximum of 60 players per team, so that’s less than 1800 of the 3185 people tested who are players.    Yet, they’re over 80% of the ones who tested positive.    Probably pretty representative of the younger people being less vulnerable and therefore less careful about being exposed.    

Meanwhile though, I heard that 1 out of every 4 people being tested in Florida is testing positive right now.    So 1.2% (or call it more like 2% among the players) sounds pretty darned good compared to what’s going on in some places.    

Glad they’re testing.   

Keep in mind that ALL players and staff got tested.

I imagine a large chunk of the people who choose to get tested in Florida are doing so because they have symptoms, or they feel they may have been exposed to someone with it, or a doctor has suggested it.

Sure, some of the people getting tested are doing so like MLB players because it's required for their jobs whether they have symptoms or not.   But a good chunk of the people being tested are probably doing it because there is reason to believe they might have it.   So naturally there will be a higher % of positives.

It also says test given not number of people tested.  There may only be 1800;players but were some tested more then once.  Maybe some tested early then a player tests positive they might have have used contact tracing to test certain players again who were in contact with said player to be sure.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Glad they’re testing.   

Well people that have already recovered wouldn’t get tested and people that don’t have symptoms don’t usually get tested.   I am not sure what the correlation to people in Florida who got tested today has to do with mlb players current positive rate. 

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I wonder if they use the test just for current cases, or if they also have the anti body test to see who have already had it?

Yep, we need antibody tests to know the true situation. Did 10%, 20%, 50%, etc. of the league already have it and not susceptible to future infection (based on current understanding)?

56 minutes ago, atomic said:

Well people that have already recovered wouldn’t get tested and people that don’t have symptoms don’t usually get tested.   I am not sure what the correlation to people in Florida who got tested today has to do with mlb players current positive rate. 

Yes, fair enough.   But Florida’s 1 in four right now is WAY above the national average, which is about 1 in 14.   Maryland is about 1 in 20.

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Yep, we need antibody tests to know the true situation. Did 10%, 20%, 50%, etc. of the league already have it and not susceptible to future infection (based on current understanding)?

They are saying On the news that you can get it more than one time. 

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, fair enough.   But Florida’s 1 in four right now is WAY above the national average, which is about 1 in 14.   Maryland is about 1 in 20.

Yeah it is a hot spot right now.  It is hard for states that have already been hit hard to continue to have high rates of infections. Maryland is above the National average in death rate and Florida is well below it.  Probably end up in the same place in the end.  Players from states already hit hard are more likely to test negative as they are more likely to have had it and recovered. 

• Upvote 1

Wonder if a player or staff has been diagnosed and finished with Covid, if they still get tested.   I don’t think it has been determined yet whether this is a one and done type of virus or not.  

Edit: I posted and then read the thread, my mistake. I see this is sort of been discussed already. But still wondering if they do test everybody regardless.