Orioles make an offer to Yasiel Puig. UPDATE: Puig to sign with Braves Tests POSITIVE for COVID 19

MurphDogg

19 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Evidently it's a 2020 Braves move who just won 97 games, and have a young outfield of Acuna, Riley, and if not Nick Markakis then top prospect Cristian Pache. Oh and don't forget Inciarte and Ozuna.

But sure, keep telling me that Smith, Williams, and Wilkerson are suddenly in line for storied Orioles careers because we didn't sign Puig.

They get Ozuna’s bat without having to play him in the field.  Riley can play first until when/if Freeman gets back.  That’s a pretty strong lineup.

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Derek Lee.

Miggy II

Raffy II

Heck, even Eddie II

Doug Drabek, Fernando Valenzuela, Sid Fernandez

We were great at picking up guys who had their best years behind them.   Dwight Evans, Rick Burleson, Joe Carter, Ozzie Guillen.  Bob Horner never made it out of training camp.   The list is endless.

One of those names had a .393 OBP in his only year with the Orioles.  

Back then OBP wasnt discussed like it is now. 

I was suprised when I saw it.  

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The point I was making is that I don't think the O's should be signing players for novelty value.  That's something Indie league clubs do.

Everything about 2020 is a novelty. I wasn't saying that was their reasoning, just that it would be a novelty for me to watch him. It would be different. You're right that they don't need to sign him (and didn't), but he would have been probably the top 3 best position players on the team and that's being generous to the rest of the team.

Also - I would have thought you'd be for the organization spending a little pocket money to make the team more interesting for fans. You could still play Mountcastle with Puig in RF and that would have been a fun outfield to go along with Hays. And then next year he's gone. 

Just now, interloper said:

Everything about 2020 is a novelty. I wasn't saying that was their reasoning, just that it would be a novelty for me to watch him. It would be different. You're right that they don't need to sign him (and didn't), but he would have been probably the top 3 best position players on the team and that's being generous to the rest of the team.

Also - I would have thought you'd be for the organization spending a little pocket money to make the team more interesting for fans. You could still play Mountcastle with Puig in RF and that would have been a fun outfield to go along with Hays. 

I want the team to be as efficient as possible.  I think the margin for error is very slim.

The Puig signing didn't seem very efficient to me.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I want the team to be as efficient as possible.  I think the margin for error is very slim.

When I heard it I figured Santander may not be a sure thing. 

I bet they offered him next to nothing.  

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Have to admit I didn't remember that either.   I left guys like Eric Davis and Will Clark off the list on purpose because I remembered them as still having gas left in the tank when they got here, but I didn't remember Evans doing that well.   Of course he was a career power hitting corner outfielder and he showed no power that year with the Os (6 HRs in 329 ABs).   That's probably what stuck in my mind.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Have to admit I didn't remember that either.   I left guys like Eric Davis and Will Clark off the list on purpose because I remembered them as still having gas left in the tank when they got here, but I didn't remember Evans doing that well.   Of course he was a career power hitting corner outfielder and he showed no power that year with the Os (6 HRs in 329 ABs).   That's probably what stuck in my mind.

Same for me. His dWAR that year was bad also. Career wise he didn’t rate as well as I thought either.  

The guy all these years later - not a one year player - with the OBP that is crazy is Randy Milligan. He would have been a Moneyball type of a player a decade later.  Guy had a .388 OBP here over 4 years. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Agreed, not exactly efficient. I'm guessing they made a pretty lowball offer with that in mind. It's one thing to spend $3 mil on a shortstop when there's no heir apparent, it's another to spend that on a COF who you have plenty of, arguably.

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Mason Williams is only 8 months younger than Puig, don't need to see any more, he is who he is. Likewise with Wilkerson and Smith.

Looking forward to the other five guys getting hopefully all of the playing time in the outfield and hopefully some at first and DH.

Yep ...you’re right! Puig is worth 18 WAR in 7 season and Williams a big fat 0.00. In 4

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Really? When was that? OBP and the Os being mostly part at it has been discussed most of the time I’ve been here. It was a reason I was pissed when they gave Villar away for dumpster fodder and passed on A Martin and drafted Kjerstad.

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

Agreed, not exactly efficient. I'm guessing they made a pretty lowball offer with that in mind. It's one thing to spend $3 mil on a shortstop when there's no heir apparent, it's another to spend that on a COF who you have plenty of, arguably.

How do we have plenty....they’ve been practicing with holes in the outfield. The guy would’ve been their best offensive player